Friday 16 March 2018

Sportlots order

It had been a while since I had bought cards on Sportlots but I knew that I was missing a whole lot of 2017 Browns base cards and thought I would take a look to see what I might find.

Looking through a few different cards, I found a couple of sellers' names repeated themselves so I started looking through their football inventories and picked up a few older cards as well.

With shipping, these cards were about the price of a blaster with tax.

We'll start with the 2017 cards since that is what I originally went looking for.

Top (l-r): 2017 Donruss Optic #12 and #78
Bottom (l-r): 2017 Donruss Optic #92 and #109

Crowell, Collins and Coleman are the three Browns veterans for their Optic team set. Dayes joins the Jabril Peppers I showed in a recent post to give me two of the five Browns rookies from the set.

Isaiah Crowell signed with the Jets as a free agent. It wasn't a surprise to see him leave the team.

(L-R): 2017 Panini Contenders - ROY Contenders #RY-28; - Round Numbers #RN-3

Some regular inserts found in the Panini Contenders set every year.

(L-R): 2017 Panini Illusions # 84, #85 and #86

I ordered these cards without knowing what the Panini Illusions set looked like. They're Browns cards, I was going to need them anyway. I was very pleasantly surprised when I saw them. The fronts of the cards may be my favorites of all the sets that Panini has put out.

(L-R): 2017 Panini Illusions - Living Legends #17; - Mystique #MY-15

I know that the Living Legends card was in my Joe Thomas post, but I bought it with this Sportlots order so I'm still including it here. Both it, and the Mystique insert are acetates. Frankly, these inserts make me like the Illusions set even more. I'm definitely going to have to keep my eye out for more cards from this set.

(L-R): 2017 Panini Phoenix #7, #84 and #154

Nice to add another Ozzie Newsome card to my collection.

I guess it is nice to see Peppers with a Browns helmet and a brown jersey on, but the photo just loses something with him being in shorts.

(L-R): 2017 Panini Playbook #20, #21 and #119

I've now got all the veteran and retired Browns for the Playoff team set. I don't have any of the rookies yet. I like the set, and I really like how Panini uses the old shade of orange on the borders and the helmet on the Newsome card, and the brighter orange on the current players.

(L-R): 2017 Panini Prizm - Prizm #13; - Prizm #99; - Prizm #190

A few of the Prizm parallels.

Top (l-r): 2017 Panini Rookies & Stars #23, #101 and #143
Bottom (l-r): 2017 Panini Rookies & Stars #145 and #218

Buying a Kenny Britt Browns card gives me a worse bad taste in my mouth than buying Andre Rison and Dwayne Bowe cards did.

Top (l-r): 2017 Panini Unparalleled #45 and #46
Middle: 2017 Panini Unparalleled #204
Bottom: 2017 Panini Unparalleled #247

I like seeing the player's draft pick number on the rookie cards. It seems different, which isn't a bad thing.

(L-R): 2017 Panini Unparalleled - Lime Green #46; - Lime Green #47; - Lime Green #200

Which is more garish? The lime green parallels?

(L-R): 2017 Panini Unparalleled - Pink #45; - Pink #46; - Pink #200

Or the pink parallels?

(I think the pink parallels are muted, and more purple looking in the scan.)

(L-R): 2017 Panini XR #25, #26 and #133

I know that Panini has to put out a lot of sets for their exclusive contract, and I know it must be tough to come up with a lot of set names, but XR? I don't really get it.

Top (l-r): 2017 Panini Certified #39; 2017 Panini Elite #22
Bottom (l-r): 2017 Panini Father's Day #32; 2017 Panini Limited #7

I'm sure sellers that are opening all these Panini boxes are happy to see someone like me come along and buy their Browns cards. I'm happy enough to not have to buy all the boxes.

I also found other cards that I needed from previous years among the two sellers' inventories.

Top (l-r): 2016 Panini Prizm Collegiate Draft Picks #140, #147 and #158
Bottom (l-r): 2016 Panini Prizm Collegiate Draft Picks #218 and #224 

With the young team that the Browns have, it isn't a surprise that I can find a lot of cards in this collegiate set.

I was disappointed that Scooby Wright didn't make the 2016 Browns team.

The Briean Boddy-Calhoun card shows how fluid my collection can be. I'll collect college cards of Browns draft picks, and their undrafted free agents, but I usually don't pick up college cards of undrafted players that don't sign with the Browns as their first NFL team. Boddy-Calhoun originally signed with the Jaguars, and was let go during their final cuts before being picked up by the Browns. However, since he ended up playing such a big role with the Browns during the 2016 season I decided to make an exception.

Top (l-r): 2016 Panini Unparalleled - Purple #76; - Purple #96
Bottom (l-r): 2016 Panini Unparalleled - Teal #76; - Teal #96

Both the purple and the teal seemed to scan darker than they look in hand.

(L-R): 2016 Panini Crown Royale 23; 2016 Panini Playoff #256

The Playoff card has a nice clean look, but I think that I prefer the color coordinated borders on the 2017 cards.

2015 Topps Fire - Silver #7; - Silver #43

Another addition to my Vince Mayle collection - 68 cards and still climbing!

I like the photo/art on the Duke Johnson card.

(L-R): 2015 Topps Museum Collection #56; 2015 Topps Museum Collection - Copper #99

I was surprised to see these Museum Collection cards in one of the inventories. I figured a quarter for the Duke Johnson rookie card, and $0.75 for the Haden copper parallel were quite worth it.

(L-R): 2013 Topps Magic #308; 2014 Bowman Sterling #14; 2015 Panini Gridiron Kings - Red Frame #152

I don't know why I haven't found that Weeden card before, but I finally found a cheap enough copy to buy.

I think that the background of the Bowman Sterling card actually looks better in the scan than it does in hand.

Top (l-r): 2011 Upper Deck College Legends - Bowl Game Heroes #BGH-BK; 2011 SP Authentic #188
Bottom (l-r): 2012 SPx - Shadow Slots #BK-2; 2012 SPx - Shadow Slots #BK-3

Some nice new Bernie Kosar additions to my collection. The two Shadow Slots are acetate cards.

Top (l-r): 2006 Press Pass SE - Gold #14; 2011 Upper Deck College Legends #61
Bottom (l-r): 2012 SP Authentic #46 and #94

A few more collegiate cards for my collection. It is nice to get a new-to-me Eric Metcalf card. He was one of my favorites in the early 90s.

(L-R): 2011 Panini Gridiron Gear #180; 2011 Panini Gridiron Gear - Silver X's #29 (#/250)

Back to some Browns cards to finish. The silver on the Silver X's card is found in the areas around the Xs. Of course you can't tell from the scan since it scans as black.

(L-R): 2011 Panini Crown Royale - Majestic #10; 2011 Topps Legends - Aspiring Legacies #AL-GL

The Majestic insert card is an odd shape - tapered towards the bottom and die-cut in the corners. The lettering on the bottom of the card is all in silver foil and also shows up black in the scan.

I'm very happy to have added this many cards that I needed at once for such a reasonable price. Sportlots can be really nice if you have the time to actually search through sellers' inventories.

1 comment:

  1. I'll usually make 1 or 2 purchases from Sportlots each year... but like you mentioned... you need some time to sift through their stuff.

    ReplyDelete