Friday 18 December 2015

Black Friday: Autographs

I picked up many other Browns autograph cards than those I've shown in previous Black Friday posts. Sorting the pile of cards beside me, I count 57 autographed cards of 32 different players, with 26 of those cards being serial numbered and 8 of them being some sort of relic. Only 14 appear to be on card autographs, and 3 autographs are signed on either memorabilia or a cut-out rather than a sticker. I'll show at least one card of each player.

Top L: 2012 Press Pass Sports Town Edition Autographs Gold #ST EA,63/99
Top R: 2007 UD Artifacts NFL Facts Autographs #NF-DA
Bottom L: 2006 Playoff Contenders #175
Bottom R: 2000 Fleer Tradition Autographics Darrin Chiaverini
I picked up four autographed cards of Emmanuel Acho, who did not play with the Browns in 2012, before being traded in 2013 to the Eagles for Dion Lewis (who was having a good season this year with the Patriots before being injured). I think this has the nicest autograph of the four of his that I purchased - one of which pretty much just has the letters EA. Before my Black Friday purchases, I didn't own any of his cards.

Derek Anderson is Browns starting quarterback number 10 since 1999. He compiled a 16-18 record and made one Pro Bowl with the Browns. This is my first Anderson autograph.

Chris Barclay was an undrafted free agent from Wake Forest that never played for the Browns, but played one game for the Saints, and four for the Titans in 2007. This is my fourth Barclay card, and the first autographed one.

Darrin Chiaverini was a fifth-round draft pick of the Browns in their expansion season of 1999. He played 26 games over 1999 and 2000, catching 55 passes and 5 touchdowns. This card is probably one of my favorites that I picked up in the sale. It is my first Chiaverini autograph.


2014 Panini Contenders Playoff Tickets #164 base card and variant, both #/199

A 4th round draft pick out of Lindenwood in 2014, Desir is still with the Browns. These two autographs bring me up to 8 autographed Desir cards.

Top L: 2009 SPx #155, 223/299; Top R: 2004 Bowman's Best #146
Bottom L: 2014 Topps Museum Collection - Signature Series Autographs Copper #SSA-JGO, 41/50
Bottom R: 2010 Panini Crown Royale - Autographs Blue #214, 19/50

James Davis played four games for the Browns in 2010. I now have 7 autographed Davis cards.

I picked up two autographed Adimchinobe Echemandu cards, giving me three in my collection. He played four games for the Browns in 2004. I love how his last name seems to be coming off the back of his shirt on this card.

Josh Gordon is currently suspended from the NFL. There was an article online yesterday that talked about how he has started painting to help slow life down. Hopefully he'll be able to come back to the NFL after his suspension and play well. He has so much talent. I hope the Browns give him a chance to show that he has changed.

I bought four new Montario Hardesty autographs on Black Friday. I now have eight of his autographed cards. Hardesty played in 23 games with the Browns, and sadly seemed to always be fighting some sort of injury.

Top L: 2006 Upper Deck Sweet Spot #220, 423/899; Top R: 2009 SPx - X-Factor Autographs #X-PH
Bottom L: 2000 Bowman Reserve Autographs #KJ; Bottom R: 2001 Fleer Focus - Certified Cuts #CCJJ

I picked up three Jerome Harrison autographs, giving me six. This is the second manufactured helmet card I have from Sweet Spot (the other is a Kosar). Harrison played in 51 games for the Browns, running for 286 yards in a game against the Chiefs on December 20, 2009. His career ended in 2011 with the Detroit Lions after he was found to have a brain tumor.

Paul Hubbard was a 6th round pick of the Browns in 2008, never playing for them. This is my third Hubbard autograph.

I have 185 Kevin Johnson cards in my collection, but this is only my third autograph. I also own an autographed football that I bought from a store in the Syracuse area. Johnson was the Browns second round draft pick in their expansion year of 1999.

James Jackson played in 43 games over 4 years with the Browns. I picked up two of his autographed cards, giving me three in my collection. I love the cut out autograph here.

Top L: 2008 Stadium Club Rookie Autographs #167; Top R: 2011 Playoff Contenders #204
Bottom L: 2010 Topps Magic Autographs #244
Bottom R: 2004 SP Authentic - Scripts for Success Autographs #SS-LM


Some interesting autographs in this grouping...

Former Miami Hurricane Lance Leggett was an undrafted Free Agent signed by the Browns in 2008. He never played for them but I just picked up two of his autographed cards. They are added to the one regular Leggett card that I owned before.

I own a lot of Greg Little cards. This one has become the 11th autographed one that I own.

I doubled the amount of Mohamed Massaquoi autographs that I own from two to four. I really love the look of the Topps Magic cards

I featured Luke McCown, number 7 on the Browns starting quarterback list since 1999, in a post on his Verizon commercial. I picked up three of his autographed cards, and now own six different ones.

Top L: 2010 Topps Magic Autographs #178; Top R: 2001 Sage - Autographs Red #A32, 404/999
Bottom L: 2007 Bowman Sterling - Gold Rookie Autographs #BSGA-TM, 1446/1800
Bottom R: 2008 Playoff Contenders #103
 
Carlton Mitchell played 16 games for the Browns in 2010 and 2011. I picked up two more of his autographed cards, giving me eight different of his autographs in my collection. He played in seven games of the 2014 CFL season with Ottawa's expansion team. I joked with friends that I must have been his biggest fan here, or at least owned the most cards of him.
 
This Quincy Morgan autographed card, my third, becomes my second Sage autograph. The other one is the Silver.
 
Along with Lance Leggett above, Tyrone Moss is another former Miami Hurricane that was signed as an Undrafted Free Agent and never played for the Browns. I picked up three different autographed Moss cards to give me four different autographed ones in my collection of six cards.
 
This Allen Patrick autographed card is now his only card in my collection. He was drafted by the Ravens in the 7th round of the 2008 draft. I don't believe that he ever played in the NFL yet according to The Trading Card Database he has 394 cards. This one has those silly little helmets on it that makes it fit my collection.
 
Top L: 2013 Panini National Treasures #291, 20/99; Top R: 2000 SPx #157, 1901/2000
Bottom L: 2009 SPx #101, 110/549; Bottom R: 2008 SP Authentic #265, 207/399 

The Jordan Poyer card cost me $3.75, which was easily one of the most expensive autographs out of this haul. I paid it since it becomes his first card in my collection. He is still playing with the Browns.
 
Travis Prentice played for the Browns in 2000, catching 37 passes and 1 touchdown. This card is the sixth autographed Prentice card I own, to go with an autographed mini helmet I found at a show. (The only autographed mini helmet in my collection.)
 
Brian Robiskie is the son of former Browns Interim Head Coach Terry Robiskie (in 2004). My purchases included the first two of his autographed cards that I own.
 
I picked up 4 Martin Rucker autographs, doubling the autographs I own to 8. Rucker played five games for the Browns in 2008 and had two receptions.
 
Top L: 2011 Panini Plates & Patches #191, 92/199; Top R: 2001 UD Game Gear Autographs #GW-GS
Bottom L: 2011 Panini Playbook #96, 130/299; Bottom R: 2011 Panini Totally Certified #180, 193/299

Buster Skrine signed with the Jets before this season. This is the only Skrine card that I own.
 
Gerard Warren was the third overall pick of the 2001 NFL Draft. He played four years in Cleveland and another seven years with the Broncos, Raiders and Patriots. He had 16.5 sacks in his four seasons with the Browns. I'm not sure what the plastic insert is that he signed on this card, but it is pretty neat in person. This is my second autographed Warren card.
 
This is the second Armond Smith card I own, both autographed cards. Smith played three games for the Browns in 2011 before going to Carolina and playing nine games in 2012-13.
 
I really like Phil Taylor with the Browns but he just couldn't seem to stay healthy. This autograph gives me three different Taylor autographed cards.
 
Top L: 2014 Panini Contenders #230; Top R: 2006 Fleer Hot Prospects #207, 289/999
Bottom: 2007 Upper Deck Premier - Noteworthy Autographs Gold #NEW, 45/99

Terrance West is currently playing for the Baltimore Ravens after playing his rookie season last year in Cleveland. This becomes the 11th autographed card of West that I own.
 
Travis Wilson played four games for the Browns in 2006, catching two passes. In my Black Friday order, I picked up 4 of his autographed cards now giving me 8 different ones in my collection.
 
(The more I look up these players, and the more I see how many of their autographs I have, I think I may have a problem! Oh, well!)
 
Finally, finishing up with Eric Wright. I love this card, and I'm really not sure why. He played four years in Cleveland (2007-2010) and had 3 interceptions, including a 94 yarder for a touchdown, in 2008. He then had 4 interceptions in 2009. He followed his Cleveland years with a season each in Detroit, Tampa Bay and San Francisco. I always liked him as a player, and was cheering for his success with those teams. Okay, liking him as a player may be why I love the card so much.
 
Please comment if you have any memories of some of these players in college or in the pros.



No comments:

Post a Comment