Tuesday 20 November 2018

Browns on Cards - stripes, gold and a monster

A while back, Kerry of the Cards on Cards blog posted that he had picked up some football cards at a Goodwill store. Luckily he thought of me for a bunch of really cool Browns cards that were in there.

Top (l-r): 1992 Wild Card - 10 Stripe #172; - 10 Stripe #168
Bottom (l-r): 1992 Wild Card - Stat Smashers #SS-22; - Running Wild #22

Who doesn't like Wild Card stripe cards? I was thrilled to see these, and to add them to my collection, especially a new Clay Matthews card.

When I was buying Wild Cards packs, I never managed to pull any of the Browns inserts, and there are two in the Stat Smashers insert set, and three in the Running Wild one. I always smile when I get them now as I think back to my frustration back then.

Ah, Metcalf and Mack, the Browns Tecmo Super Bowl running backs. More happy memories.


Top (l-r): 1992 Topps - Gold #38; - Gold #301
Bottom (l-r): 1992 Topps - Gold #271; 1992 Pro Set #471

I love these gold inserts. How can you beat that Matt Stover kicking card? Well, you can add Eric Metcalf and Touchdown Tommy gold cards to it. And while you're at it, toss in another Tommy Vardell rookie card.


Top (l-r): 1992 Upper Deck - Gold #G31; - Gold #G43
Bottom (l-r): 1993 Pro Set #114; 1993 Score - Pinnacle Men of Autumn #33

I guess that I could have turned the two Upper Deck cards over to show the gold holograms, and that these are the gold inserts. These cards both have different photos than the base versions of the Kosar and Perry cards.

Seeing the Vinny Testaverde Pro Set card makes me realize that I really haven't looked at my 1993 cards in a while. The photo on it makes me laugh as it looks like he is holding hands with the defender coming in to tackle him.

As a Canadian, I really like these Men of Autumn insert cards with the maple leaf logo on them. And, again, it always makes it better that it is a Clay Matthews card.


Top: 1994 Topps Archives 1957 - Gold #76
Bottom: 1994 Topps Archives 1957 #28

More gold for my collection.

I appreciate these Archives reprint sets a lot more now than I did when they came out. Although I own copies of most of the vintage 1957 cards, and love them, it is also nice to have these cleaner reprints to go with them.

The Renfro gold parallel brings me up to owning six of the thirteen Browns cards from the set.


Top (l-r): 1994 Ultra - First Rounders #11; 1999 Upper Deck Retro #38
Bottom (l-r): 1994 Upper Deck - Electric Silver #156; 1995 King B Discs #20

I'm never going to complain about receiving Jim Brown cards, or rookie insert cards like the one of Antonio Langham. (Ah, who am I kidding, I don't complain about receiving any Browns cards!)

Eric Turner was another of my favorites, and I was so happy when he left the Ravens to join the Raiders. He was a safety that just seemed to fit the Raiders - if he couldn't be a Brown. It is so sad that he died of cancer at the age of 31.


1994 Coca-Cola Monsters of the Gridiron #7

The title of this post said there would be a monster. Here you go, one of my favorite oddballs!

Thank you very much, Kerry, I really appreciate the cards! (Ummm, small 'c'. I'm still annoyed by the 1985 and 1987 Cards that kept the Mets out of the playoffs, so I don't appreciate them.)

2 comments:

  1. I just got my Goodwill from Kerry yesterday. There were lots of parallels in that lot.

    ReplyDelete