Thursday 17 January 2019

COMC order Part 4: 1999 - 2009

My last COMC order didn't include too many cards from the first decade of the new expansion Browns team, but I think that there were some nice additions to my collection, and some interesting cards as well.

L-R: 1999 Pacific Prisms #36; 2000 NFLPA Super Bowl Players Party Tim Couch

The Kevin Johnson prism card picked up the background color from the scan - it is pretty much a mirrored silver card.

You can see the Players Party logo on the front of what appears to be a 1999 Topps Tim Couch card. It came out at the Super Bowl, early in 2000. Here is the back, with a message:



It is a card that I hadn't heard about until a Trading Card Database member posted about it in their forums about a year ago. Once I saw it, I looked on COMC, found it, and bought a copy. It had been sitting there a while until I finally had this order shipped.

2000 Pacific Crown Royale - In The Pocket Mini #1

Okay, this card looks normal here. I've identified it as a mini above, so you know it is smaller than normal. I mean, we all have, or have seen, minis.

But this one is small! Way smaller than I expected. Take a look!


Some might not, but I actually like the back. I'm not going to say that sometimes it seems like card manufacturers are mailing it in, but if they are not going to put much information or writing on the card, then I don't mind seeing the team helmet. It works for me. Mind you, with the size of the card, it might have been hard to put too much writing on it.

These two Tim Couch cards put me over 500 different Tim Couch cards in my collection.

2005 Donruss Throwback Threads - Throwback Collection #TC-24

I saw this card that I needed for $0.37 during the sale. As you would expect, there are versions of this card that actually have material swatches.


Top: 2007 Leaf Rookies & Stars - Studio Rookies #SR-40
Middle: 2007 Playoff Absolute Memorabilia - Marks of Fame #MOF-18
Bottom: 2007 Donruss National Convention #3 

I'm always happy when I add Joe Thomas rookie year cards. As an offensive lineman, I don't expect his cards to spike too much when he goes into the Hall of Fame in a few years, but I'll grab cards pretty cheap now if I can.

Top: 2007 Topps Chrome - Refractors #TC87
Bottom (l-r): 2008 Topps Mayo - Mini #47; 2009 Topps Mayo - Mini Blue Back

Some more parallels for my collection. These two Mayo minis seem very big compared to the Pacific one earlier in the post.


L-R: 2008 Topps Rookie Progression - Veterans #PV-BE; - Veterans #PV-JL

These are a little thicker than your average card. I like them, and especially like filling their holes in my collection at $0.33 each.

That's it for now. The next post will feature cards from two different 2010 sets.

5 comments:

  1. I kind of like that card of players in legends' jerseys. I've never seen that set before.

    ReplyDelete
  2. COUCH! I still have my Brown and Orange #2 jerseys.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know that I shouldn't be surprised to hear it, but finding out that there was at least 500 different Tim Couch made, kind of blows my mind!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pacific was pretty creative with those In the Pocket cards. They remind me of the Card Supials they did a few years earlier where one card fit into another.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I used to collect Tim Couch cards, and still have a few left over from 1999 and 2000. Never saw any In The Pocket minis before.

    The Joe Thomas cards are very cool. I like the one with Brady Quinn, just as a contrast of NFL success. Couch..Quinn.. Manziel.. boy I hope that Baker Mayfield is the real deal. You Browns fans deserve a long-term success at QB.

    ReplyDelete