Tuesday 16 February 2016

First Exhibit card for my collection

It was nice to get down to my PO Box a short while ago and pick up a bunch more Browns cards for my collection. One of the items waiting for me was the first Exhibit card for my collection.

I have been looking for the Exhibit cards for a while, and even found a few cheap baseball ones over Christmas that I mailed to a few traders, but I had never been able to get my hands on a Cleveland Browns card. (Well, I could have if I wanted to pay more, but you all know what I mean.) Finally, a couple of weeks ago, I won an auction at $16.50 for this one on eBay:



It is in great shape, and I'm so happy to have it.

A few other auction wins that I also picked up included these cards:

All three of these cards were in auctions that I won on Sportlots. For all three the shipping cost was greater than the what the card sold for. It is always fun explaining that to the Customs officers when I come back into Canada.

The 2004 eTopps Cleveland Browns card is the second eTopps card that I own, joining a Jim Brown card. Since it was issued in a sealed case, it will stay sealed.

I generally roll my eyes a bit at manufactured relics, but I do like the Rated Rookie logo on the Mingo card.

I know I'm part of the problem when I complain about parallel cards but then buy them anyways, but here are examples of two parallel team sets that I picked up:


I bought the 2008 Super Bowl black and gold parallel Browns team sets off of the same seller on eBay. I still have red, green, blue and glossy parallels to go. (Yes, I have a problem.)

From another seller on eBay, I won auctions with these cards:


I had never seen this 2004 Donruss National Convention Browns team set before and jumped at the opportunity to pick up the team set. Looking at the seller's other auctions, I added three of the cards in the picture below.

The seller mentioned that if someone bought multiple auctions that bonus cards would be added. Among the bonus cards was the 2007 Allen & Ginter Brady Quinn card. I had never seen this card before and found out that it was part of a 7 card, multiple sport promo set from the National Convention that year. It is always great to get a card that you didn't know existed.

8 comments:

  1. Exhibit cards are amongst my favorite oddballs - tons of subjects who didn't get much love from the "traditional" manufacturers. Plus, they were a Chicago company too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your Marion Motley card is just amazing! It's just such a great image of a player who's name you never hear mentioned, which is very unfortunate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I first became a Browns fan I really dug into the history of running backs that they have had, and that is when I discovered Marion Motley. I've wanted this card for a while.

      Delete
  3. You have the sweetest cards....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A benefit of being single, I guess. I can think of myself and look for things and jump when I see them.

      Delete
  4. Congrats on the additions. I have seen some Exhibit references before but I don't know a lot about them. I know they are fairly old but I don't know exactly when they are from. Did they remove his jersey number or did they just wear plain white in those days?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Honestly, I don't know why he doesn't have a number in his photo. Other cards in the set have numbers. Other photos of Motley have numbers, and this photo looks like it is almost the same shot with the number removed and a tackling player's hand and the background removed:

      https://flyinglombardi.files.wordpress.com/2015/01/1948-aafc-championship-game-cle.jpg

      Delete
  5. I don't buy manu relics, but I would make an exception for auto version. Very nice my friend.

    ReplyDelete