Monday 8 February 2016

Collection spotlight on T.J. Ward

Congratulations to the Denver Broncos on winning this year's Super Bowl.

I had a strong hatred of the Broncos after they beat Bernie Kosar's Browns in three AFC Championships in the 1980s, but found this year that the hatred had dulled, and that they really didn't bother me anymore. I really wouldn't have minded either team winning yesterday, which is a rare thing for me watching a Super Bowl.

Two ex-Browns played for the Broncos yesterday, and both were noticeable on the field.

One was Jordan Norwood, a wide receiver who caught 36 passes, including 1 touchdown for the Browns in 2011 and 2012. Yesterday, he set a Super Bowl record for the longest punt return with a return of 61 yards, leading to a Broncos field goal. I am not aware of Norwood having any Browns cards.

The second ex-Brown was T.J. Ward, a former Pro Bowl safety for the Browns who they let leave after the 2013 season, with the Browns deciding on signing Donte Whitner instead of Ward.

I like Whitner, but I also really liked Ward when he played for Cleveland. I'm happy that he got his ring.

I only have 14 T.J. Ward cards in my collection, and don't have any autographs or memorabilia cards among them. I guess I'll have to look at picking up more of his cards.

2010 SP Authentic #199
T.J. Ward was a 2nd round pick, 38th overall, out of Oregon for the Browns in 2010. He had a great rookie season with the Browns, starting all 16 games, made the NFL All-Rookie team, and was named by Pro Football Focus to their 2nd All-Pro team.
 
2010 Playoff Contenders - ROY Contenders #16
During his rookie season, he had 2 interceptions and a forced fumble.

back of 2011 Panini Prestige - Rookie Review #39
Funny that the back of the card compares Ward with Whitner.
 
2010 Topps Tribute #43

After a foot injury limited Ward to 8 games, a forced fumble and one sack in 2011, he bounced back with an interception, three forced fumbles, and a sack in 14 games in 2012, and two interceptions, one returned 51 yards for a TD, a 44 yard fumble recovery for a TD and 1.5 sacks playing in all 16 games while making the Pro Bowl in 2013.

2012 Panini Stickers #100

Since I have one, I figured I would show a face shot, without a helmet on.

2011 Score #74
In yesterday's game, T.J. Ward has been credited with 4 tackles and 3 assists. He had an eventful second half. In the middle of the third quarter, he intercepted a Cam Newton pass, but eventually fumbled the ball. It was recovered by teammate Danny Trevathan. Then, late in the fourth quarter, Ward recovered Cam Newton's fumble that set the Broncos up for the final touchdown that sealed the game.

2014 Score - Scorecard #330

Here is the last card that I have of T.J. Ward in Browns uniform, showing him with the Broncos that he just won the Super Bowl with.

Congratulations! Celebrate your win!

2013 Topps Mini #302


No comments:

Post a Comment