Wednesday 24 January 2018

More individual cards from Christmas and Christmas packs 14-16

I hit a few different card stores in Arizona at Christmas, and filled a few holes in my collection. Here are more of the cards that I obtained during that trip.
2005 Topps All American - Gold Chrome #25 (#/555)
I really enjoy this 2005 set of retired players in their college uniforms in the style of the 1955 Topps All-American set. I was happy to find this gold chrome parallel.

The set even duplicated the backs.

I was curious as to whether the cartoons were taken from the original set, and after looking at the gallery at the Trading Card Database, I found this back on card 39.


There's the cartoon! However the distance of the penalty has changed in the 50 years between the sets.

Here are a couple more cards from college sets that I needed.

L: 2012 SAGE HIT - Red #148; R: 2013 Press Pass #31
I don't know what to think about red sparkles being added to the border of football cards. Well, okay, I do know what to think. I don't like it, and don't want to see it used again. I guess that I'll have to keep it sleeved so that sparkles don't rub off.

And, of course, I have to show Barkevious for his name.

Top: 2013 Panini Black - Onyx Materials Jumbo #25 (#/99)
Bottom: 2014 Bowman Sterling - Jumbo Rookie Patches Blue Wave Refractors #BSJRP-TW
I like these two cards, and the fact that they were pretty cheap. There is something interesting in the fabric of the Jordan Cameron card that you can barely see in the scan - there is a large seam running across the fabric which gives it a nice texture when holding the card. It is white, but not as boring as you might first think.

L-R: 2014 Panini Hot Rookies #413 and 428
A local card store has a box of 2014 Panini Hot Rookies. I keep looking at it, thinking about buying it, and then thinking better of it. I know that I will get too many cards that don't fit my collection. These two cards bring me up to owning 7 of the 13 Browns base cards in the set. I'm slowly but surely getting there.

This next card was given to me as a Christmas gift by SaintOrm from the Trading Card Database. I bought some items from him on eBay, and since he was in Phoenix I arranged to pick up the winnings from him in person. I found this wrapped in Christmas wrapping paper with the items that I picked up. It was very generous of him.

2014 Panini National Treasures - Rookie NFL Gear Quad Materials Prime #RGD-TW (#/25)
I love the look of the card with the four different materials, and then with it being numbered out of 25, well, it is a pretty generous gift.

Finally, before getting into 2017 cards in my next post, here is a 2016 rookie card that I picked up.
2016 Panini Plates & Patches #195 (#/79)
It was nice to finally pick up a base card from the Plates & Patches set. It is good to have another set represented in my collection. It might just be me, but it seems like Higgins is almost popping out from the card. I think that makes it a nice design.

----------

Now we'll get to the latest of my Christmas baseball packs, three packs of...
...1990 Donruss!

Pack 1:
Interesting first four cards - a Justice RC, Bell MVP insert with his hat resting beautifully on his head, a nice Expos uniform and a Met. A nice start to the pack.

Back to my crooked scans...  I'm not going to say that any of these cards jump out at me.

 Always nice to see a Diamond King card, and the Ron Gant card always reminds me of one of my old college roommates. Any time he saw Ron Gant on tv he always exclaimed, "Hey, I own one of his suits!" Needless to say, I heard that a lot in the 1992 World Series versus the Blue Jays.

 The Juan Gonzalez rookie card is pretty cool to get.

Yastrzemski puzzle pieces 37 - 39
I like the Donruss puzzles but really, what can I say about three random pieces?

Pack 2:
 Not much to comment on here except for the fact that I got another Gant.

 An All-Star card, and a second George Bell today.

 This isn't a bad foursome. Otis Nixon in an Expos uniform, a Diamond King and Finley and Key.

I went to college with a Jeff King. I used to bring him cards to sign. He never did. I still see him once or twice a year, most regularly at a local game convention in May. I should try to remember to bring this with me and ask him again. I'm sure he would get a laugh out of it.

Yastrzemski puzzle pieces 4 - 6

Pack 3:
 Another Met, and a Bo MVP card. Nice start to this pack.

 Former Met as a Diamond King, a former favorite player in Hrbek, one of the best Blue Jay pitchers ever, and Leonard at the end of his career (and I forgot that he wore 00.)

 Very similar pictures of HoJo and Ryno. I seem to remember Smiley winning 20 one season, but don't remember when.

 Wait a second! Where is my 16th card?!?

If I was opening this in 1990 I wouldn't have even noticed that I was short a card. To tell the truth, if I wasn't scanning them for this post, I wouldn't have noticed either. Oh, well.

Wait! I figured it out!

I'm sure one blogger will agree with me that the missing card was obviously of Bob Walk and it decided that it was too cool to wait in that pack for 27 years to be opened. To heck with that, it left the pack.

Yastrzemski puzzle pieces 43 - 45
Once again, it was fun to open these packs and they brought back some nice memories.

1 comment:

  1. Nice Browns cards and for 1990 Donruss, it doesn't seems like you did too terrible.

    ReplyDelete