Thursday 21 February 2019

Players with only one card in my collection - 11

Here is another post showing cards of five players with only one card in my collection. Like the last one in this series, these five players are represented on only four cards.

To review how these posts are set up, they are using images and sorting tools from The Trading Card Database. I'm going into the stats of my collection on the site, and looking through it to see who only has one card listed, and then finding five names that I haven't posted yet.

Here is who today's search found.



2000 Leaf Rookies & Stars #209 (#/1000)



Rashidi Barnes was drafted by the Browns in the seventh round of the 2000 NFL Draft. He played in 14 games for the Browns in the 2000 season, recording 14 tackles and making one punt return. He was released by the Browns in the final cuts before the 2001 season.

Along with his cards in this set, Rashidi Barnes cards can also be found in the 2000 Leaf Limited set.


2006 Leaf Rookies & Stars #141 (#/999)



Leon Williams played three seasons with the Browns after being drafted in the fourth round of the 2006 NFL Draft. He played in 46 games, starting 12 of them, and made five sacks and forced one fumble during those games.

After the Browns let him go, he had stops with the Dallas Cowboys and Kansas City Chiefs.

Leon Williams had cards in five sets from 2006, and then no other cards in his career.


2009 Topps - Flashback #FB9



I was really happy when I got this card. I had read that Jim Marshall had started his career with the Browns but never expected to see a card of him with the team.

Something that I didn't know was partially revealed on the back of the card. I didn't know that Jim Marshall left Ohio State before his senior season, and played for the Saskatchewan Roughriders in 1959. He was drafted by the Browns in the fourth round of the 1960 NFL Draft.

After being traded by the Browns to the Minnesota Vikings, Jim Marshall ended up playing 19 seasons with the Vikings, finishing his career after the 1979 season at the age of 42. He was a member of the Vikings famous defensive line, the Purple People Eaters.

Of course, no matter how great his amazing career was, I don't think his career gets brought up often without mentioning one particular play, a fumble that he picked up and ran 66 yards the wrong way into his own end zone, where he threw the ball away in celebration resulting in a safety.

Although this is his only Browns card, the TCDB lists two different Ohio State cards of his. As a Browns draft pick, I consider his college cards to be possible additions to my collection. I guess I have another couple of cards that I can chase.


2006 Topps Total #212



This last card is the only card in my collection for both Matt Stewart and Jason Fisk (and one of three that I own of Mason Unck).

Matt Stewart signed with the Browns as a free agent after playing four seasons with the Atlanta Falcons. He played two seasons with the Browns in 2005 and 2006, before missing the 2007 season with a torn shoulder muscle and becoming a free agent.

Jason Fisk played twelve seasons in the NFL, with 2005 being his only season with the Browns. Throughout his career, he also played for the Minnesota Vikings, Tennessee Titans, San Diego Chargers, and St. Louis Rams.

Both Matt Stewart and Jason Fisk have football cards with other teams, but their only Browns cards are found in this Topps Total set.

This post was a little odd for me. In my previous 'one card' posts, I have usually recognized most of the players in the post, whether from reading about them, or having watched them play.

In this post, however, other than Jim Marshall, I don't remember any of the other players in this post. I mean, I remember picking these cards up, but other than seeing these players on these cards, I really don't know them. I don't like that.

I know there are a lot of players that have played for the Browns over the years that I am not really aware of. I am happy that this series of posts is allowing me to learn a little about some of them.

4 comments:

  1. Jim Marshall played for the Browns??????????????

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rashidi Barnes card is a uncorrected error card , lists Colorado as Bulldog's lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's funny. It didn't register to me until you pointed it out. Good eye!

      Delete