Tuesday 4 October 2016

Cards from a reader and some new purchases

Shortly after posting about the card show where I met up with Night Owl, I received an e-mail telling me that a handful of cards on my wantlist were available to me if I were to just reply with my address. How was I to pass up an e-mail like that?


Top: 1994 Topps Archives 1957 - Gold #40
Middle: 1994 Topps Archives 1957 - Gold #147
Bottom: 1994 Topps Archives 1957 - Gold #154
I love the 1957 Topps cards. The first cards that I picked up from the 1957 set were cheap because they were actually cut in half. I'm pretty sure that I had both halves of three players, and just one half of two players. They have all been replaced since.


I like the idea of reprint sets, but would still rather have old beat up copies of the originals than the reprinted cards. Of course that doesn't mean that I don't pick up the reprints too. Before this, I only had two of the thirteen Browns gold cards so these are greatly appreciated.



L-R: 1994 Topps Archives 1956 - Gold #57; 1991 Enor
The Don Colo card now gives me three of the ten gold cards from the Archives 1956 - Gold set.


I actually bought packs of the 1991 Enor Hall of Fame cards back when they came out and collected a few of the Browns back then. When I started collecting again I managed to pick up all but this McCormack card but never seemed to find it. So it is a nice card to get to finish off a team set for me.


Thanks, Tom, for the great cards of players from when the Browns were a model franchise of the NFL.


I also had a few cards arrive that I purchased on eBay and Sportlots.


The eBay order had a couple of cards of Connor Shaw, owner of one start for the Cleveland Browns.


L: 2014 Panini Elite - New Breed Signatures #14 (#/149)
R: 2014 Panini Absolute - Hogg Heaven Anniversary Purple #26 (#/20)
I like Shaw's signature, and was happy to add another of his autographs to my collection along with a parallel numbered out of twenty.


I also had another low numbered card among my Sportlots purchase.


Top: 2002 Playoff Piece of the Game - Materials 4th Down #POG-33 (#/25)
Bottom: 2004 Upper Deck Sweet Spot - Sweet Swatches #SW-LM
I like the patch in the Kevin Johnson card, and again, I just find it a good feeling to get a card that there are only twenty-five of.


I don't know what to think of the rookie photo shoot for Luke McCown in 2004. Were the players throwing fluff at each other? Did they think it would look like snow? Maybe the loose stuff floating around, but in his hand? Really?


L: 2001 Pacific Titanium - Post Season Jersey Patches #35 (#/244)
R: 2016 Donruss - Rookie Threads #36
Ummm, "Post Season Jersey Patches"? Don't know what to think about that.


Anyway I won this James Jackson card up with the Kevin Johnson and Luke McCown cards above in one auction on Sportlots.


The Ricardo Louis card won with a minimum bid of $0.25 (with $3.00 shipping) in another auction. It is the first of his cards that I own.


Louis has had a few catches in the Browns last couple of games but the bilingual Canadian that I am is always surprised to hear his name pronounced as 'lewis' instead of 'louieee' like I would expect. I will be okay with it though if it means that he's catching lots of passes.



1 comment:

  1. Gotta love the generosity that floats around our hobby. As for KJ, you have no idea how much money I invested in him. I really thought he'd turn out to be a superstar receiver one day. Do Browns fans still talk about his glory years in Cleveland?

    ReplyDelete