Thursday 8 September 2016

Recent purchases of pre-move Browns

I'm going to show some recent purchases I made of the old Browns from before the move.


The first purchase was made on Sportlots from a Trading Card Database user, BOBCARDZ.


1979 Fleer Team Action - Stickers


I was happy to pick up these stickers from 1979. I know that had I pulled them as a kid I would have peeled them and stuck them to something. I had binders and notebooks covered in stickers. I'm glad that someone out there was saving them for me to buy later.


Top: 1994 Topps Archives 1957 - Gold #64 Maurice Bassett
Bottom: 1994 Topps Archives 1957 - Gold #102 Walt Michaels
I like the Archives cards, but of course these are gold parallels. It is interesting to see Bassett wearing the number 32 on this card as the 1957 season was Jim Brown's first season in the NFL, and of course he wore number 32 throughout his career.


The second purchase was from a seller on Beckett Marketplace. I found myself there by looking for a specific card that it looked as though the seller had. I then decided to purchase a bunch of cards from his store, but before everything was shipped to me I received an email saying that they didn't have a few of the cards that I ordered and that I was being refunded for those cards, and of course, the original card that I wanted was one of the missing ones. Oh well, at least I found a bunch of other items that I wanted and was very happy with the prices.


Here is some of that order.


Top: 1962 Topps #34
Bottom (l-r): 1968 Topps # 189 and #102
A few Browns cards that I was missing from the 1960s. I may have said it before but I love the smaller action photo on the 1962 cards.



1975 Fleer The Immortal Roll #37


I figured that I would put the back on here as well as I'm sure that many are not familiar with the Browns rushing star that pre-dated Jim Brown.


This card is a half-inch taller than standard cards.


Top (l-r): 1983 Topps Stickers #41 Dave Logan; #45 Bob Golic
Bottom (l-r): 1983 Topps Stickers #47 Paul McDonald; #48 Mike Pruitt
I never saw Topps football stickers in Canada while growing up. I did buy some hockey and baseball stickers, but not football. This brings me down to just needing one Browns sticker for the 1983 team set.


I always like picking up Cleveland Browns items of former Saved By The Bell: The College Years star Bob Golic.


Top (l-r): 1984 Topps Stickers #191 Ozzie Newsome; #38/188 Rafael Septien/Tom Cousineau
Bottom (l-r): 1984 Topps Stickers #39/189 Doug Cosbie/Paul McDonald; #187 Chip Banks
In this 1984 sticker set, the Browns were sharing their smaller stickers with the Cowboys. I love the photo of McDonald on the headset, but it is funny to have that photo being shared by Doug Cosbie just sitting on the bench. I'll bet there aren't that many cards or stickers with two photos like that.


Top (l-r): 1985 Topps Stickers #33 Ozzie Newsome; #41 Boyce Green
Middle (l-r): 1985 Topps Stickers #34/184 Al Gross/Gary Hogeboom; #35/185 Paul McDonald/Jim Jeffcoat
Bottom (l-r): #38/188 Don Rogers/Doug Cosbie; #40/190 Reggie Camp/Rafael Septien
The Browns again shared stickers with the Cowboys in 1985.


I was happy to get this sticker of Ozzie Newsome because I have many similar ones. The regular Topps set had stickers with "Coming Soon" on their back advertising the stickers and I've managed to pick up that sticker a few times for Newsome. It is nice to finally have the regular back shown below.




I've made it clear in the past that I love oddballs. I don't know if I had ever heard of the 1986 Jeno's Pizza Rolls card set before finding the Trading Card Database, but even if I did, I know that I hadn't seen one of the cards in person.  This order brings me one of the Browns cards from the set.


1986 Jeno's Pizza Rolls #42

I love seeing Earnest Byner blocking for Kevin Mack here. Great photo! And a great addition to my collection.


A card that I was aware of but had never seen before comes from the 1993 Action Packed set. I'm just going to show the back because that is where the difference is seen.


1993 Action Packed - Quarterback Club Braille #10B
I had the regular Quarterback Club version of this card, but never managed to pull the braille card. On Bernie's photo you can see the raised braille marks that go across the back of the card.


When you think Michael Jackson, do you think flashy and shiny?


1993 Pacific Prisms #15
 Okay, you probably weren't thinking of this Michael Jackson when I asked. But look! This Michael Jackson wears gloves on both hands!


(l-r): 1993 Skybox Impact - Colors #57; 1993 Skybox Impact - Update #U02
When Cleveland brought Vinnie Testaverde in to back up Bernie Kosar they reunited the two Miami Hurricanes in Cleveland. Testaverde is 12 days older than Kosar, but was his backup at Miami.


I often complain about parallels, but as seen with the Colors card above they were around in the 1990s as well. Here are a few from the 1993 Topps Stadium Club set.


Top (l-r): 1993 Stadium Club - Member's Only #134; and Super Teams Super Bowl #134
Bottom (l-r): 1993 Stadium Club - Member's Only #407; 1993 Stadium Club - Super Teams Super Bowl #98
I actually bought 16 different Member's Only parallels, and 10 different Super Team Super Bowl parallels in my order. I decided to show the two Everitt cards so you can see the different foil stamp on both cards, and then chose to show the Hansen and Kosar cards as further examples of each because I liked their photos. It is almost as though they were kicking and throwing the foil stamp.


Top: 1993 Upper Deck #230
Bottom (l-r): 1994 Fleer #473; 1994 Playoff #212
Here are a few Browns cards that I had missed over the years. Under Jerry Ball's name you can just see "Signed by Browns", and the two Rypien cards reflect him signing as a free agent with the Browns as well.


L-R: 1994 Ted Williams Roger Staubach's NFL #14; 1997 Upper Deck Legends #34
It was also nice to pick up two base cards that I was missing of Otto Graham. I don't know why it has taken me so long to find them.


Finally, one last card irks me to look at but I have to get over it because I like the idea of the cards in its set.
1996 Topps Laser #121
I love the Topps Laser cards, but the only year that I've seen for this set is 1996 where are these Browns photos are spoiled by the Ravens team name. And unlike some of the other players in this set, Zeier's name is short enough that you can actually kind of make it out as it is spelled out downwards on the left side of the card.


Once again I will finish my post with the same paragraph from the last two days:


Finally, for those who have read this far, I'm going to have a giveaway to celebrate the first anniversary of my blog on September 9th! On Friday, I will randomize the names of anyone who leaves a comment on any posts that I make this week and I will try find a nice prize for the winner to fit their collection. So please leave a comment, and list a team or player to guide my choice if you win, otherwise who knows what I'll send you as a prize?

1 comment:

  1. I really, really like those Fleer stickers. Makes me want to track down a complete set for my collection.

    ReplyDelete