Thursday 25 August 2016

Less Bark

Although I was expecting to post something different today, I changed my mind after seeing the reported trade of Barkevious Mingo to the Patriots.


2013 Panini Contenders #107


His name always stands out, but his play at LSU led to him becoming the #6 pick of the 2013 NFL Draft.


2013 Fleer Retro #64


Listed as 6'5, 240 lbs, he had tons of speed and it was assumed that he would do a great job as a pass rusher, and only improve as he added muscle and weight as he got a bit older. He started his career strong, with one sack in each of the first three games that he played, but had only four more in 43 games after that. For the last couple of years, he was used mostly as a drop back coverage linebacker.


2013 Score #339


I own 38 cards of Barkevious Mingo, of which 6 are autographed. 32 of the cards I own are from his rookie season.


2013 Panini Prestige - Rookie Extra Points Red #208


So many of the cards I own have training camp photos with his name taped on the front of his helmet.
2013 Topps Magic - Autographs #92


As opposed to most of the Browns autographs in my collection, I actually pulled this one in a box that I bought. I was so happy to actually get a Browns hit. I have four different copies of the 2013 Topps Magic card - the base card, this autograph, the mini parallel, and the mini black parallel.


2013 Topps Prime - Silver Rainbow #126


This is the lowest serial numbered card that I own of Mingo. I'm sure I'll eventually get something lower than a #/50, but for now this is it.


Don't you love when card companies use the same photos in different sets, especially during the same season?


2014 Panini Prestige #44


Hey, look, no name sticker on his helmet!


I like these Panini Prestige cards. I think it is a good picture of him and I like it highlighted over the brown and orange background.


2014 Panini Sticker #100


Did somebody say sticker?


2014 Topps - Signatures #TA-BM


There was a lot of talk during this year's training camp that Mingo had put on muscle, and that the Browns were going to use him at inside and outside linebacker depending on circumstances of the game. Sadly, this meant that he really didn't have a position, and while watching some of the preseason games, you could still see his speed getting him to the play, but then he had trouble making the tackle.


I hope that the Patriots find a way to use him to the best of his abilities, and that he has a successful stay in New England. Unfortunately the Browns didn't get much to show for the #6 pick of the 2013 Draft, and since he was bookended in the first round by Richardson and Weeden in 2012, and Gilbert and Manziel in 2014, it is easy to see why the Browns are not finding much success.


Although he is no longer with the Browns, I still have over 500 cards left to find of Barkevious Mingo, so at least his great name will linger in my collection for years to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment