Thursday, 17 September 2026

Oddball Zellers Batman Returns Set

To go along with my last post, here is an oddball set that I picked up at Ottawa Comic-con last weekend.

Zellers was a discount retail store similar to K-Mart. Early in my blog, I remember posting about some Zellers Expos cards that came out when I was a kid.

I remember going in to Zellers to get the Expos cards. The following set, I don't remember coming out.

In 1992, Zellers put out a 24 card set for the movie Batman Returns. I remember going to see the movie, I remember toys and comics for the movie, and remember other trading cards for the movie, but I don't remember this set.

When I saw this set of cards on a table at Comic-con last Friday, I knew I had to pick it up.


The fronts of the cards just show a picture with no identifier on it. The bilingual backs have a brief description, but mostly show a contest to win a Batman jacket. 


I haven't watched this movie for a long time.


Le Pingouin looks weird.



First look of the Catwoman in this set. The catsuit made quite an impression on me.


Oh, Michelle Pfeiffer...


I guess they didn't worry too much about the descriptions. The description on card 14 is the same as card 11.



I think you would need a pretty big bathtub for that rubber duckie to make bathtime fun.


Very different minions.


Pat Hingle as Commissioner Gordon. 

I recall reading that for the four movie Batman series that starred Michael Keaton, Val Kilmer and George Clooney, Hingle and Michael Gough, who played Alfred, were the only two actors  to appear in all four.


And a couple of cards of one of the biggest stars of the movie!

The cards are a little flimsier, a slight bit taller, and a slight bit narrower than the standard cards of the day, but it was still a nice, inexpensive set to pick up. I'm glad that I saw it to buy.

No comments:

Post a Comment