I recently received a nice Sportlots shipment of some orders that had been stored for box shipment.
The next couple of posts will cover some of the cards that I bought. This first post is covering cards from before the 1999 expansion Browns teams.
This a card from the 1987 Hygrade Football's All-Time Greats set. It is a 10 card set, with Jim Brown being the only Browns card. There are also five reprint cards, three of which are Jim Brown inserts. I own two of the imprints, with a reprint of the 1962 Kahn's card missing from my collection.
Jerry Sherk was a defensive lineman that the Browns drafted in the second round of the 1970 NFL Draft. He had a twelve year career, all with the Browns. He started 131 of the 147 games that he played, and had 3 interceptions, 12 fumble recoveries and 70.5 sacks in his career. He played in four Pro Bowls, and was a first team All-Pro once in his career.
This 1992 Topps Gold card of James Brooks completes my set of Topps Gold cards from that set. It shows him in his old Bengals uniform which might be why I had never seen him in any Browns cards lots that I had bought over the years. It took a long time to find this.
Of course, now I can start working on the different letter and asterisk variations of this card if I want to.
This Dan Footman card is a Gold parallel from the 1993 Classic Four Sport Draft Pick Collection set. This is my first Gold parallel of the four Browns draft picks in the set.
Footman was a second round draft pick of the Browns, out of Florida State, in the 1993 NFL Draft. He spent six years in the NFL, three with the Browns, one with the Ravens following the move to Baltimore, and then two with the Colts.
Eric Zeier was a third round pick of the Browns, out of Georgia, in the 1995 NFL Draft. He wound up starting four games for the Browns in the 1995 season before their move to Baltimore.
The card on the left is from the 1995 Classic Five Sport Multi-Sport set, while the one on the right is from the 1995 Signature Rookies Fame and Fortune Multi-Sport set. The card is dark, but it has gold print in different areas that don't really appear in the scan.
A couple of months ago, there was a Blog Bat-Around going on where people showed players they liked on teams they didn't like. I started a blog post on it, but didn't finish it. I have a big cheat. Many cards from 1996 show players I like still in their Browns uniforms, but on cards with the Baltimore Ravens team designation.
These three cards show Michael Jackson, Antonio Langham, and Rob Burnett, and finish off the cards I've been looking for from 1996 Topps.
I'll finish this post here, and get started with expansion Browns cards with the next post.






That Jim Brown is cool. I have a bunch of the baseball Hygrade cards, but never seen any of the football cards. And it still blows my mind that there was a brief period when the Cleveland Browns weren't playing.
ReplyDeleteI wouldn't have believed it then, but in a way those were peaceful days on my system. I didn't have to suffer all of the losses I've seen since.
DeleteBut then again, I really didn't watch much NFL football during that time. I was a little peeved at the league.