Saturday 3 February 2018

COMC Black Friday: Chiaverini; and Christmas packs 23 - 24

My COMC Black Friday order continues with another member of the 1999 expansion Cleveland Browns.

After wide receiver Kevin Johnson was chosen with the first pick of the second round, the Browns selected a second wide receiver in the fifth round of the draft - Darrin Chiaverini from Colorado.

The Trading Card Database shows 155 different Darrin Chiaverini cards are available. Twelve of them are from his time with the Dallas Cowboys and in the Arena League, leaving 143 cards that would fit in my collection. The cards below bring me up to 64 of them.

Top (l-r): 1999 Bowman Chrome - Refractor #192; 1999 Collector's Edge Masters - HoloSilver #46 (#/3500)
Bottom (l-r): 1999 Donruss #183; - Stat Line Career #183 (#/97)

Once again, I'll show one of the card backs to give you some information about him.

Darrin Chiaverini had a good rookie season. He was third on the team in receptions and receiving  yards (behind fellow rookie receiver Kevin Johnson, and veteran running back Terry Kirby) with 44 catches for 487 yards, and second to Johnson in touchdown receptions with four.

Top (l-r): 1999 Leaf Rookies & Stars #229; 1999 Pacific Paramount - Copper #59
Middle: 1999 Playoff Absolute SSD - Honors Red #AH-149 (#/200)
Bottom: 1999 Playoff Absolute SSD - Honors Silver #AH-149 (#/100)

I like the die-cut Honors inserts. There are three versions (I'm missing the Honors Gold), and these are the first that I own. There are eight Browns on the checklists so I'll have to look for more of them in the future.

Top (l-r): 1999 Playoff Absolute SSD - Coaches Collection Silver #199 (#/500); - Purple #199
Bottom (l-r): 1999 Playoff Absolute SSD - Red #199; 1999 Playoff Momentum SSD - X's #196 (#/300)

I owned the Blue base card and the Green parallel of the Absolute SSD cards before buying these. I still need the Coaches Collection Gold, and the Orange Parallel. I love the clear plastic centers to these cards.

I also already owned the O's version (#/25) of the Playoff Momentum card so I was very happy to find this one to complete the X's and O's pairing.

Top: 2000 Fleer Tradition - Autographics Silver (#/250)
Bottom (l-r): 2000 Leaf Certified - Mirror Red #34; 2000 Playoff Absolute - Coaches Honors #41 (#/300)
I like Chiaverini's signature. Really, only the initials are fully recognizable, but I like the angled D and the C. I already owned the base version of this autographed card and still need to add the Gold parallel version of it.

Others may look at the design of the Autographics card and think there is too much wasted space, but I love the design and it works really well with the on-card autograph.

I already owned the regular versions of the two base cards at the bottom of this scan.

Top (l-r): 2000 Playoff Prestige #45; 2000 Quantum Leaf - Infinity Green #67 (#/100)
Bottom (l-r): 2000 Score - Scorecard #46 (#/2000); 2000 Upper Deck Encore #54
It is kind of nice to look at four different cards, and see four different looking photos. Great photo of the ball coming into the receiver in the Score card, and I enjoy the shot of Chiaverini running to the camera with the ball.

Darrin Chiaverini played two seasons with the Browns before being traded to the Dallas Cowboys  before the 2001 season. After one season with Dallas, he signed with the Atlanta Falcons where injuries disrupted his 2002 season. He then moved on to the Austin Wranglers of the Arena Football League for 2004-2006. He is currently the Co-Offensive Coordinator, and Wide Receivers Coach for the Colorado Buffaloes.

----------

Continuing on with the Christmas baseball packs, we find...


...1991 Score! One pack each of Series 1 and Series 2.

Series 1 Pack:

A nice start to the pack with Winfield, a nice action shot of Greg Myers, and a beautiful uniform on Dan Pasqua.


 So, as long as Morandini held onto the ball in this photo, I'm sure that he liked that the card. If he wound up dropping it on landing, I'm sure it wouldn't be a favorite. A lot of ball is showing in the picture.


Even with Eddie Murray moving on to play with the Mets and other teams, I still really only think of him as an Oriole. I don't necessarily find it odd to see him in other uniforms but if you asked me about him, I'd think Orioles.


Before moving on to the Series 2 pack, I'll show off the two World Series Magic Motion Trivia cards. And really, the interesting part of them is the backs, so that is what I'll show. 


Series 2 Pack:

Okay, David Cone was one of my favorite Mets pitchers. I saw him pitch a couple of times in Montreal against the Expos.

I don't remember ever seeing Martinez pitch in person, but listened to a lot of his games on the radio, and watched them on tv. I don't think that I have a friend in Ottawa that follows baseball that couldn't tell you Dave Van Horne's call of Martinez's perfect game:




I own a set of 1991 Score, but I had forgotten about these Franchise cards. I enjoyed seeing them again.



I had to orient the flag card properly to scan. I couldn't scan it vertically because the proper way to show it would be with the stars in the top left corner, which the card doesn't do.

All right! Thanks, Score! All of the cards I was supposed to get in each pack were there!

Comparing the two packs, I think I prefer the second one but I enjoyed opening both of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment