Friday 19 August 2016

2016 Panini Prestige football fat pack

When I last drove down to my PO Box to pick up my mail, I stopped in at a Wal-Mart and picked up a fat pack of 2016 Panini Prestige football to take a look at it and see if I'm lucky enough to get any of the Browns in the set.




I will be displaying the cards in the order that they were in my pack.




Yay! A Browns card early in the pack. But two Bengals. Oh, well.


I like the action shots and the prominent team logos. I would prefer the player's position to be shown on the front, but as long as it is on the back that is fine.


I understand that foil in cards scan dark which is why you have trouble reading some of the names here but they look nicer in person.


Now, let's see a back. What card do you think I'll pick?




Of course I'm going to pick Barnidge.


In general, I like the back. It is a good write-up. I like having the standard information of birth date, college, height and weight. Telling me how many seasons in the NFL is good, but I also like seeing where a player was drafted. There is no way of knowing on the card that of his 8 NFL seasons, the last three were in Cleveland following his first five with the Carolina Panthers.


I prefer seeing multiple season stats as opposed to just the last year and career totals, but no matter what they are showing I would like to see games played, and finally there is no position listed on the card. Barnidge is a TE.




Only one division rival in this grouping, and I like that card of Kuechly pointing before a snap.




A former Browns QB in Brian Hoyer. And I'm happy to see the updated Robert Ayers card showing his new team but keeping him in the Giants uniform. I prefer them listing the new team, but as a team collector, I would be buying the card if it were a Browns player having a new team listing. It is sometimes bittersweet doing it, but it is more annoying to me when they are still listed as a Browns player. I'll have to keep an eye out for the Travis Benjamin card in the set as I now suspect it will still show him in his Browns uniform.




In 2014 I went to Cleveland to watch the Browns play the Raiders. I was very impressed with Khalil Mack's play. One of my friends will be happy when I give him this card.




The last of the veteran cards in the fat pack. On to the inserts.




Myles Jack probably would have been a first-round pick in this year's draft if it weren't for a knee injury and questions about how long his knee will allow him to play before needing microfracture surgery in the future. I wish him well with the Jaguars.


Media darling Michael Strahan, as you can read on the back of his card, holds the NFL single-season sack record. As great a season as he had, I still think the record is tainted by Brett Favre giving himself up for the record-breaking sack. I want to see someone break this record.





I think I would have preferred to see Alshon Jeffery as the Bears Connection card.


I'm not a big Seahawks fan but I like Kam Chancellor so I didn't mind seeing this card.


I like both of these backs for giving specific moments of their season a spotlight.




The rookies, and yay, another Browns card!


Again, the foil name shows up better on the blue background than it appears in the scan.




Again, of course I'm going to show the back of the Browns card.


Philip Anthony "Scooby" Wright III has been called Scooby since he was a baby. He only played in three games last season after winning the awards mentioned on the back of the card in 2014. Falling in the draft due to this injury allowed the Browns to select him with the 250th pick of the 7th round of this year's NFL draft. Again, I would like to see games played and draft position mentioned on the card back.


Finally we get to the four Xtra Points Green Parallel cards of the pack.




Two Steelers...that's disappointing. At least it isn't a photo of Antonio Brown kicking the Browns punter in the face while trying to hurdle him like last year's Score card.


All in all I'm pleased with this year's Panini Prestige cards. You know what you're getting with the Prestige brand and I'll probably pick up the odd pack when I feel like opening something. And of course I will be chasing all those Browns that I don't have yet. Good job, Panini!

1 comment:

  1. Prestige '16 is the best-looking football card set I've seen in a long time. Love the clean, simple design, and the action shots are terrific. The inserts leave a lot to be desired, but the base cards are a touchdown.

    ReplyDelete