Friday 26 October 2018

Players with only one card in my collection - 1

One nice thing about having my collection recorded on The Trading Card Database is that you can see all sorts of stats about your collection.

I've often sorted my cards by name to see how many cards I have of the top people in my collection, but today I decided to take a look at the end of the list to see how many players just had one card in my collection. There are a lot of them, and I've decided that it would make an interesting series of posts to go through them.

In going through the names, I have found some names of players that are only in my collection because they share a card with a Browns player. I don't consider those players to be part of my Browns collection so they won't be featured.  I also know that some of the players that I feature have more than one card out there, and that I'll probably eventually pick up another for them, but at the time of whatever post they are part of, they will have only had one card in my collection.

I will work my way down the list, posting five players at a time, and borrowing images from the Trading Card Database.


2014 Panini The National - Team Colors #4


An Ohio native, John Hughes was drafted by the Browns in the 3rd Round of the 2012 NFL Draft out of Cincinnati. He played 53 games for the Browns from 2012-2016, making 5.5 sacks, forcing 1 fumble, and recovering 2 fumbles.

He also played 5 games for Tampa Bay in 2016, and 8 games for New Orleans in 2017 in his NFL career.

According to the Trading Card Database, he only has three cards - this one and Cracked Ice and Thick Stock parallels.



1987 Topps #81



This is a sunset card for Curtis Dickey, and shows his career NFL stats. It is the only Browns card of his career.

The Baltimore Colts selected him 5th overall in the 1980 NFL Draft.



1991 Stadium Club #472



Ralph Tamm was drafted by the New York Jets in the 9th Round of the 1988 NFL Draft, and had a NFL career that stretched from 1990-1999. He played in all 16 games for the Browns in 1990, starting 12 of them, but then only played in the season opener with the Browns in 1991.

After two games with Washington, and one with Cincinnati in 1991, he moved on to play with San Francisco from 1992-94, Denver from 1995-96, and Kansas City from 1997-99.

According to the Trading Card Database, other than this card, Ralph Tamm has one other card - a Pacific card with Denver from 1997.



1982 Topps #65



Robert Lee Jackson was the 17th pick of the 1977 NFL Draft.

This card shows all of his Cleveland statistics. After 1981, he played four games with Atlanta during the 1982 season. This appears to be his only football card.

The middle initial on his card was to differentiate him from a Guard, Robert Edward Jackson, who played with the Browns from 1975-1985.


1965 Philadelphia #30



Walter Beach was drafted by the New York Giants in the 15th Round of the 1960 NFL Draft. He never played for the Giants, going instead to the AFL where he played for the Boston Patriots in 1960 and 1961.

He joined the NFL and the Browns in the 1963 season, played on their 1964 Championship team, and finished his career with them after the 1966 season.

This appears to be his only football card.

I'm sure, though, that even had you never seen this card before, you have probably seen a photo with Walter Beach in it.

When he joined the Browns, Walter Beach became close friends with Jim Brown. That friendship, and Beach's activism, brought him to the Muhammad Ali athlete summit, and kept Beach working with Jim Brown and his Amer-I-Can organization.

3 comments:

  1. I like this concept.

    I may check this out for my Dodgers. I know right now my one-card club includes Max Muncy!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Max Muncy...I've heard of him. I think he did something big recently.

      I can't believe that I stayed up until 3:30 to watch the whole game.

      Delete
  2. If there ever was a reason to start adding cards to my Trading Card Database account... revealing my one card collection would be it. Very cool.

    ReplyDelete