Tuesday 22 March 2016

Trade from the Clubhouse

I received a nice little envelope from Adam at the Cardboard Clubhouse which contained some Browns cards! Just what I wanted. How did he know? 

First off was some vintage:
To all those people that say that they don't like the 1980 Topps cards with no helmet logos, I don't know what you're talking about. These helmets are perfect!

He also included a card of one of my favorite players, with a horrible reminder on it that he was no longer a Brown.


With Eric Metcalf and Clay Matthews both going on to play for the Falcons, I definitely developed a soft spot for them. I figured I would show the back of this card since it had his career Browns stats. Sadly it only talks about his returns, and doesn't show the stats.

In the first NFL game that I attended, on October 23, 1994 in Cleveland, Eric Metcalf returned a punt 73 yards for a touchdown against Adam's Bengals. Also in that game, Jeff Blake threw his first two passes as a Bengal. When he came into the game we were grabbing programs trying to figure out who he was. He was the third QB to play for the Bengals that day.

Adam also sent me a few cards from last season:

Of course the top two players are no longer with the team, but I'm hoping for a lot from the bottom two players. Ifo Ekpre-Olomu was drafted knowing that he would be unlikely to play for them last season after injuring his ACL and dislocating his knee in December 2014. With his talent, he was definitely worth taking a shot on with a 7th round pick. Last month he said he was getting close to 100% healthy. It would be a great bonus to Browns fans if were to come in and play at his pre-injury level.

And one other great thing about those bottom two cards? I needed them for my collection. Woo hoo!

Thanks, Adam!

1 comment: