Tuesday 15 September 2015

Funny Verizon commercial

While watching football this weekend, I saw the following Verizon commercial a few times:


Luke McCown was drafted by the Cleveland Browns in the 4th Round of the 2004 NFL Draft. He had four starts for the Browns that season. He is starting quarterback number 7 out of the 23 that have started for Cleveland since 1999. (His older brother Josh just became number 23 last Sunday)

My Browns collection contains 20 different Luke McCown cards, including 3 autographed cards. Here are some of them:

2004 Bazooka #220
I like the look of concentration. I should really find the parallels for this.

2004 Fleer Tradition - Rookie Throwback Threads Helmets #TT-LM
Neat to have something that isn't a jersey swatch. Fun insert series.

2004 Leaf Rookies & Stars - Rookie Autographs #262, #/50
On this sticker he almost writes out Luke. My other two autos have an L with a line after it.

2004 Upper Deck #273
Nice smile. I guess that I would be happy too if I made it to the NFL.
 
Verizon, great commercial! Nice to see a backup quarterback get a national commercial.
 
Luke, great job with the commercial, and good to see you still in the league. Somehow though, as unfair as it may be, I don't think that Sean Payton is going to set up that rotation that you might be longing for.

3 comments:

  1. 23 QBs since 1999? Geez. I think Green Bay has had 5 -- Favre, Rodgers, Flynn, Tolzien & Seneca Wallace (the last three all started games in that lost season of 2013 when the Packers went 8-7-1 and still won their division).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seneca Wallace is #15 on the list. :)

    Since they came back in 1999, they have only had one season where the starter has started all 16 games - Tim Couch in 2001.

    It is a tough team to cheer for but it may be really satisfying to stick with them if they ever manage to win it all. I hope I find out some day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We love McCown down here in NOLA. And we all love that commercial.

    ReplyDelete