This post is continuing a selection of cards from my recent Sportlots order. This one will show cards that I purchased from 2002-2006 sets.
The 2002 season brought hope to Browns fans. In their fourth season back in the NFL, they made the playoffs, and were winning their Wild Card game 24-7 early in the third quarter, in Pittsburgh, against the Steelers. They lost 36-33, allowing a last-minute touchdown to lose the game. It ended horribly, but gave a sense of optimism for the future. Little did anyone realize that they wouldn't make the playoffs again until the 2020 season.
Running back William Green was the Browns first round pick in the 2002 NFL Draft, out of Boston College.
The top left card is a base card from the Bowman Chrome set; the top right card is a base card from the Leaf Rookies & Stars set; the bottom card is a base card from the Topps Pristine set.
When cheering for our teams, there are often players with the same last name on the team. In the nameplate, they will generally add the first intial to differentiate them. The Browns did their best to confuse the fans in the 2002 NFL Draft.
In the 2nd round, they drafted wide receiver André Davis from Virginia Tech. Then, in the 5th round, they drafted linebacker Andra Davis from Florida.
It continues to confuse me. I meant to put the two André cards together for the scan, and then just botched it. Oops.
The top card is a base card from the Fleer Throwbacks set, while the bottom left card is a base card from the collegiate SAGE HIT set.
As you might recognize from the earlier William Green card, the bottom right card is a base card from the Leaf Rookies & Stars set.
I'll transition the cards from 2002 into 2003 with cards from the two players that I own the most cards of, Kevin Johnson and Tim Couch.
The top left card is a base card from 2002 Bowman, and the top right card is a base card from 2002 Topps Gallery.
The bottom left card is a dark scan of a 2003 Leaf Limited base card, numbered out of 999. The bottom right card is a base card from the 2003 Topps Pristine set.
In the 2003 NFL Draft, the Browns drafted running back Lee Suggs from Virginia Tech in the 4th round.
The top right card is a base card, numbered out of 1500, from the Fleer Platinum set, while the bottom card is a base card, numbered out of 750, from the Leaf Rookies & Stars set.
The top left card is a base card from the Fleer Authentix set, numbered out of 1250. The middle part of the card is a tab that can be pulled out so that the card could be "upgraded" to one of three different levels: Lower Level, Upper Level and Luxury Box. You can see part of the tab sticking out from the right side of the card. I didn't really pull on it, that is how it was sent to me.
Here are some of his cards in his Virginia Tech uniform.
The card on the left is a base card from the SAGE set; the top right card is a base card from the Topps All-American set, borrowing its design from 1955; the bottom right card is a base card, numbered out of 1800, from the Upper Deck Pros & Prospects set, shared with Virginia Tech alum Michael Vick.
Let's move on to some 2004 cards.
The top left card is a 1st Edition parallel from the Bowman set; the top right card is a General Admission Green parallel, numbered out of 100, from the Fleer Authentix set.
The bottom card is a SAGE HIT card of their second round pick in the 2004 NFL Draft, safety Sean Jones.
The top two cards are base cards from the Playoff Prestige set.
The bottom left card is a Ruby parallel, numbered out of 250, from the Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity set. The Longevity set is pretty much a parallel set to the regular Rookies & Stars set of that year. I wasn't collecting at the time. I would assume that the regular set might have been like a Retail set, while Longevity might have been a Hobby set, but I'm not sure.
The bottom right card brings a smile to my face that always appears when I add a new Topps Total parallel to my collection. It is a Silver parallel, and only the second that I own out of the 15 Browns cards in the set.
The 2005 cards will start with a couple of the Browns draft picks from the 2005 NFL Draft.
Braylon Edwards was the 3rd overall pick, out of Michigan, while Charlie Frye is a third round pick out of Akron.
The card on the left is a 1st Edition parallel from the Bowman set, while the card on the right is a base card from the Topps Turkey Red set.
The Browns second round pick in the 2005 NFL Draft was safety Brodney Pool out of Oklahoma.
The top left card is a base card from the SAGE set, while the top right card is a base card from the SAGE HIT set.
The bottom card is a Reflect Blue card from the SAGE HIT set. The number on the card is the same as the base set, but it is a different photo, so it isn't really a parallel set.
The top left card is a Bronze parallel from the Bowman set, while the top right card is a Museum Collection parallel from the Donruss Zenith set.
The bottom left card is a base card from the Score set. Whenever I looked at my wantlists, I was always surprised to find that I needed this card. I wouldn't be surprised if I had left it in boxes before at some point assuming that I already had it. I'm glad to finally own it.
The bottom right card is a base card from the Upper Deck set. One of the many that get missed when players aren't yet in their new Browns uniform.
Since the 2006 cards are starting with Charlie Frye, who played for the Akron Zips, I'm going to tell a story about my roommate.
On a trip to a game in Cleveland, my roommate bought a Zips baseball cap. It is a rare sight to see in Ottawa, Canada. He did once have someone ask him if he went to school in Akron. I don't know who was more surprised, the guy, seeing someone wearing a Zips baseball cap, or my roommate, having someone actually recognize the Zips cap. The truth is, he bought it because he thought it was a cool looking cap.
The top left card is a Blue parallel, numbered out of 500, from the Bowman set, while the top right card is a White parallel, numbered out of 125, from the same set.
The bottom card is a base card, numbered out of 1199, from the Topps Triple Threads set.
The next cards was the only memorabilia card that I bought in the purchase. It is of the Browns 3rd round pick from the 2006 NFL Draft. He was a wide receiver that played four games for the Browns, with two receptions in his career, both for first downs.
There is a simple white swatch on this Player Timeline Jerseys card, numbered out of 250, from the Donruss Gridiron Gear set. It shows Wilson as both an Oklahoma Sooner, and as a Cleveland Brown.
I own 75 different Travis Wilson cards.
Here are a couple of new Braylon Edwards cards to my collection. The card on the left is a Membership Bronze insert card, numbered out of 1000, from the Donruss Classics set. I actually bought two of these cards, figuring to send the second one to Michigan.
The card on the right is a Retail version of the Playoff Absolute Memorabilia set.
I'll finish this post with some more Topps Total parallels, and another smile.
The top two cards are Red parallels, while the bottom card is a Blue parallel from the Topps Total set. This brings me up to seven of the Red parallels, and 13 of the Blue parallels, out of 19 Browns cards in the set.
No comments:
Post a Comment