Sunday, 23 August 2026

Local card show purchases

At the recent August date for my local monthly card show, I saw what seemed to be a new dealer with a small showcase of cards on the table. I glanced at it and saw a whole bunch of single cards of some pretty big names from all four main North American sport leagues.

After I was about three steps past the table, it registered in my mind that I saw a recognizable Browns cards in the case.

No, I didn't own an autographed version of it, but I recognized a Joe Thomas card that was there.

I looked at the price, determined it to be fair, and shortly afterwards I purchased this nice autographed rookie card.



It is only the second Joe Thomas autographed card that I own, both from his rookie year. I was very happy to add it to my collection.

I found a lot of new cards for my collection, most of which were 2025 cards that I hadn't seen before. Some of which I was able to trade for instead of buying them.

I also bought a couple of other new autographed cards for my collection.

Here's a look at the additions to my collection from the show.


I'm going to miss having The Chief on the Browns this year, after the team didn't seem to make an effort at re-signing him. I hope he does well with the Chargers.

This card is from the Scripts insert cards set in the 2020 Panini Mosaic set.

Here are a couple more David Njoku cards that I also bought.


The card on the left is the base card from the 2025 Topps Chrome set, while the card on the right is a base card from the 2025 Topps Signature Class set.

Here is a pre-draft card of 2022 Browns fifth round draft pick, Jerome Ford.


The card is a Bowman Chrome Prospects Autographed Gold Refractor, numbered out of 50, from the 2021-2022 Bowman University set.

I also added these other Jerome Ford cards to my collection.


The top left card is a base card from the 2025 Panini Phoenix set; the top right card is a No Huddle Purple parallel (hey, I don't name them), numbered out of 75, from the 2025 Panini Prizm set; the bottom card is a base card from the 2025 Topps Chrome set. All these chrome type cards scan so dark.

Jerome Ford was signed as a free agent by the Washington Commanders during the off-season.

I really liked seeing this Ozzie Newsome card. As I've said before, with no logo on their helmets, unlicensed cards are just as good as the licensed ones for my team.



This card is a Finest Sky Blue Refractor, numbered out of 325, from the 2023 Topps Composite set.

I also picked up another Ozzie Newsome card, along with one of his fellow 1978 first round pick.


If you're going to have two first round picks in a draft year, this is what you hope to draft - a Hall of Famer in Newsome, and another player that should be in the Hall of Fame in Clay Matthews.

The Matthews card is a base card from the 2025 Panini Phoenix set, while the Newsome card is an Epic Performers Mosaic insert card from the 2025 Panini Mosaic set.

I also picked up a couple of parallels of one of Newsome's quarterbacks from the 2025 Panini Mosaic set.

The card on the left is a Mosaic parallel, while the card on the right is a Genesis Mosaic parallel from the 2025 Panini Mosaic set. What makes it "Genesis"? I have no clue. As I said, I don't name these things.

Here are a couple of cards of the Browns first draft pick from the 2025 NFL Draft.


Both of these cards are parallels from the 2025 Donruss Optic set. The card on the left is Holo parallel, while the card on the right is a Purple Scope parallel.

Nice cards for my collection, but not as nice as some of the Mason Graham cards that I see Dennis adding to his Michigan collection.

I also purchased cards of many other 2025 Browns draft picks.

Quinshon Judkins was their second second round pick.


The top left card is an Elite Series Rookies insert card from the 2025 Donruss set; the top right card is a Blue Hyper parallel card from the 2025 Donruss Optic set; the bottom left card is a Red parallel from the 2025 Panini Absolute set; the bottom right card is a Rookie Wave insert card, also from the 2025 Panini Absolute set.

The next two cards were two of the rookie pass catchers the Browns had last year.

Isaiah Bond was an undrafted rookie free agent, while Harold Fannin Jr. was the first of two third round picks the Browns had. These cards are both base cards from the 2025 Topps Chrome set.

The Browns second third round draft pick is in a battle to keep his roster spot this year.


As a rookie quarterback, there are plenty of Dillon Gabriel cards out there for my collection.

The card on the left is his base card in the 2025 Topps Chrome set, while the card on the right is a Class Action insert card from the 2025 Topps Signature Class set.


The top left card is a Bomb Squad insert card from the 2025 Donruss set; the top right card is a Retail parallel card from the 2025 Panini Absolute set; the bottom left card is a Hog Heaven insert card from the 2025 Panini Absolute set, while the bottom right card is a Lazer parallel card from the 2025 Panini Prizm set.

Dillon Gabriel started six games for the Browns last year, but was overshadowed by the other quarterback that they had drafted, fifth round pick Shadeur Sanders.


The card on the left is a Retail parallel from the 2025 Panini Absolute set, while the card on the right is an Anniverary Rookies insert card from the 2025 Score set.

At shows, dealers seem to be putting a premium price on Shedeur Sanders cards. I guess they expect for him to become a breakout star. I expect him to have improved from last year, and that he will be helped by a better receiving corps on the team, but I don't really think that his play is going to stop the Browns from drafting a quarterback in the first round next year. I would love for him to prove me wrong!

The next two cards are also from 2025.


The card on the left is a base card from the 2025 Donruss set. Dylan Sampson was drafted by the Browns ins the fourth round of the 2025 NFL Draft.

The card on the right is a Leather Refractor from the 2025 Topps Chrome set. Cedric Tillman is in a training camp battle to make this year's Browns team.

Here are a couple of recent cards that aren't from 2025. 


The card on the left is a Press Proof Blue parallel card from the 2023 Donruss set. Za'Darius Smith played a season and a half with the Browns in 2023 and 2024. He was traded to the Lions at the trade deadline in 2024. It looked as though the Browns were going to bring him back to the team this year, but he ended up signing with the Atlanta Falcons.

The Cedric Tillman card on the right is a Stars parallel from the 2023 Donruss Optic set. I like the card in hand, and understand where that parallel name has come from.

The Browns have had a lot of player turnover, and will have a pretty young team this year.

Sadly, one of the players that moved on was Myles Garrett, who was traded to the Rams.


The top left card is a Play Action insert card from the 2025 Donruss Optic set; the top right card is a base card from the 2025 Topps Chrome set; the bottom left card is an All-Chrome Team Refractor insert card from the 2025 Topps Chrome set; the bottom right card is a 1975 Topps insert card from the 2025 Topps Chrome set.

These definitely won't be the last Myles Garrett cards in my collection. As with any star player, there are many base cards, parallels, and insert cards to be chasing for years to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment