Saturday, 15 August 2026

Random pack opening: 1992 O-Pee-Chee baseball

During my last visit to a local card store, I glanced through a box of random packs they had for sale. I decided to buy a couple of packs. Here is one of them.




Classic wax pack wrapper. 10 cards, one stick of gum. Let's see whose card gets the gum.

Tom Candiotti, come on down!

The gum perfectly covers his statistics, but you can see he played for two teams in 1991.

The bottom of the card back shows Skydome, indicating the Blue Jays.

But this is O-Pee-Chee! Although it shows the Blue Jays team banner on the card, there is the "Now with Dodgers" on the front.

I tried to carefully take the gum off. The stick of gum didn't break, and the back isn't too bad.

I remember when the Blue Jays traded for Tom Candiotti to add a solid veteran to their rotation depth. He pitched well in the regular season, but I seem to have memories of him not being as successful in the playoffs.

The next card up is from the Twins.


I remember the name, but don't remember too much about the player.

I really like the stadium photos at the bottom of the cards.

The Expos provide the next card.

With the Expos having been the closest team to me in Ottawa, we used to get a lot of Expos media coverage. I remember Bret Barberie entering the league, and probably saw him play in one of the games I went to in Montreal.

Seeing the Expos uniform brings a smile to my face.

There's a sight that I'm very familiar with, but I'm disappointed we didn't get a field photograph.

Next up in the pack is a California Angels card.


I don't really remember Ron Tingley.

One complaint with this set is that the position isn't on the front of the card. Seeing on the back that he was a catcher, I wish the card showed hime wearing the tools of ignorance. I so much prefer to see catchers in their gear.

Oh, that photo of Anaheim Stadium really makes me wish I was at a ballpark, watching a game on a gorgeous day.

The Cardinals are represented with the next card to finish the first half of the pack.

I don't have any real memories of Scott Terry, other than baseball cards.

Another photo of the outside of the stadium, but at least you can see the green field inside.

Ok, Blue Jays, you're up next.


Again, being close to Toronto, we got a lot of Blue Jays coverage, and with a lot of my friends being Jays fans, I am very familiar with Manny Lee. He was on the Blue Jays first World Series team.
I remember him being a light hitting, good fielding infielder.

A horizontal Red Sox card comes up next.

I guess if you're going to do a headshot, this is a good way of doing it. A pensive look, with the Green Monster and Fenway scoreboard in the horizontal background.

I prefer action shots, but this can be nice for a change.

I mostly remember Jack Clark from the Giants and Cardinals. 

No Fenway photo. Too many years of stats.

I loved card backs like this when I was young. Make sure you fit all those years in there. I would pore over all those stats.

The seventh card in the pack brought another Dodgers card, although this one has the team banner on it.


I remember remember Jose Offerman being in the league for a fair while, but don't have any real memories of him playing. I think I remember him making at least one All-Star game.

I've been to games in a number of different stadiums, but I haven't been to Dodger Stadium yet. I really want to see a game there at some point.

The ninth card of the pack brings a Baltimore Orioles card.

Oh, cool! I like David Segui. Going from Baltimore to the Mets, and then to the Expos. I remember seeing him play in Montreal a few times.

And a photo of Memorial Stadium in Baltimore. I can't remember when Camden Yards opened, but it has to be soon after this. 

From watching football and baseball games, I really didn't like the shared stadiums for those two sports. 

As for the tenth card in my pack, there was no tenth card in my pack.

I remember this happening now and then, just as I remember getting an extra card in the odd pack.

It's a little disappointing in this case, but what can I do?

I unfolded the wrapper in case anyone wanted to see it. There are a couple of really minor holes in it,  but it is still pretty nice.




I hope you enjoyed my foray into a baseball post.

It was fun to look at some older cards, so I may do this again.






1 comment:

  1. Always fun. I always liked the "Now with" cards because team collectors could use it for the jersey they're in or the "Now with" team name.

    ReplyDelete