Wednesday 20 February 2019

Bump and Run Football Card Blog Super Bowl Group Break

I signed up for a Super Bowl Group Break that was being run by Trevor at the Bump and Run Football Card Blog.

The break would open two 2017 Donruss Optic Jumbo Pack boxes, and one 2018 hobby box of Panini Elite. Some loose football packs were also going to be opened and thrown in.

Participants could buy one team, and then a second random team would be assigned to them. As one might expect, I bought the Browns. I had the Cowboys assigned to me as my second team.

Here is what I received in my break:

L-R: 2017 Donruss Optic #106 and #154

From the Optic cards, these are the two that I needed. I am always happy to get cards that I need, but I must say that I was more pleased to see the Myles Garrett rookie card pulled. It was one of the cards that I was hoping to get out of the break.


L-R: 2017 Donruss Optic #12, #78 and #92

Multiple copies of each of these cards were pulled, and all three were already in my collection before the break. No matter, I don't mind adding to the Browns doubles box (which is actually way more than one box).

There is a lot of speculation that Jamie Collins will be let go this off-season. If that happens, that means that of the above players, only Myles Garrett would be still with the team next season.


L-R: 2018 Panini Elite #69, #70 and #97

From the 2018 Panini Elite box, these are the cards that I needed. Garrett and Landry were very important members of the team this year, and should be instrumental in helping the Browns continue their improvement in the future.


L-R: 2018 Panini Elite #22; 2011 Panini Gridiron Gear #30

I already owned a copy of the Tyrod Taylor card, but with it added to the previous three cards, the Elite box had all the Browns base cards. Sadly, I didn't get any of the five rookie cards from the set.

The Mohamed Massaquoi card was from one of the loose packs.

Along with these Browns cards, Trevor also threw in a bunch of other Browns cards and has said that he hoped that I needed some of them. I did, and here are the ones that I needed.


L-R: 2014 Topps - Power Players #PP-126 and #PP-217

There are eight Browns in the Power Players insert set. I only had one of them (Johnny Manziel) before receiving these, so they are very appreciated.

For those that aren't familiar with them, here is a back of a Connor Shaw card.



Did anybody enter any of these on the Topps site and win any prizes?


L-R: 2016 Panini - Knight's Templar Foil #48; 2017 Panini Prestige - Xtra Points Red #84; 2017 Score - Red #310

Three parallels that I needed.

I have a feeling that us collectors will be chasing parallels all the rest of our collecting days. I guess we can only hope that other collectors will help us find them. I know that it seems rare that I actually pull Browns parallels that I'm collecting, so others have to be pulling them.

Along with these were a bunch of other Browns cards.


L-R: 1995 Collector's Choice #197, #225 and #253

L-R: 1995 Collector's Choice - Players Club #253; - Players Club #339

Although I've completed my Players Club team set, they aren't cards that I see often

L-R: 1999 Collector's Edge Advantage #172; 1999 Collector's Edge Supreme - Gold Ingot #154

These two Kevin Johnson cards show him in his Syracuse Orange uniform. I know I have received other Orange cards in packages where people have confused them with Browns cards. It is an easy mistake to make, but these ones fit in my collection.


L-R: 2011 Score - Glossy #66; 2012 Panini Absolute - Retail #12

I am so glad that Score doesn't seem to be making glossy parallels anymore, not that you would really be able to tell from this scan whether this was the regular version or glossy one.

The hobby version of the Absolute cards has a foil-like background on it.


L-R: 2013 Panini Prestige #49; 2016 Score #84; 2016 Panini Playoff #45

Trent Richardson is still playing football, and seems to be one of the more well-known names playing in the AAF.

I don't listen to any podcasts, but at some point I'm going to have to listen to the ThomaHawk Show that Andrew Hawkins hosts with Joe Thomas. I always seem to be reading about comments made on the show.

I have very mixed feelings about the Browns signing Kareem Hunt. I just hope that it doesn't mean the end of Duke Johnson's tenure with the team. I think, however, that with his pass catching he serves a different role than either Hunt or Nick Chubb will have with the team.


Top (l-r): 2016 Panini Prestige #281 and #49
Bottom (l-r): 2016 Panini Classics #42; 2016 Panini Absolute #20

Gary Barnidge had two good seasons with the Browns and made one of my favorite catches ever.



I watched this game in a bar in New York City and that I blogged about previously. Looking back at the post, I even linked this video back then. I'm not going to apologize, it is worth seeing multiple times.

Gary Barnidge was released by the Browns after they drafted David Njoku in the first round of the 2017 NFL Draft. I don't know why Gary Barnidge was never given a chance by another team after his release. There are many teams that I think he could have helped.

Thanks, Trevor, for including all these extra Browns cards in the shipment that you sent me.

I did mention that I was also given the Cowboys in the box break. I'll finish my post by showing those cards here, without comment, as well as a some Raiders card doubles from the break that I asked Trevor for to give to one of my friends.






1 comment:

  1. Optic is a nice product. If I order from DA or Blowout... I might see if either site has cheap boxes of this stuff.

    ReplyDelete