Tuesday 22 January 2019

COMC order Part 6 - A bunch of first round picks

I was looking at the last of my Browns cards from my COMC order, and was a little bit surprised at how many of the remaining cards were first round draft picks.

It will start with the same future Hall of Famer that I ended my last post with, and then it starts to hurt. On the plus side, all of these cards were purchased for under a dollar.

L-R: 2011 Score - Glossy #70; 2012 Topps - Gold #198 (#/2012)

Joe Thomas was the third pick of the 2007 NFL Draft.

As with the 2010 Score set that I showed in my last post, the 2011 set is full of parallels as well. I have less of these, but was happy to add this Glossy Parallel.

Although I may complain about all of the parallels that we see, I like the simple ones that can be identified by the color of the borders. These gold ones were always nice, and were numbered out of the year of the card.

2016 Panini Unparalleled - All-Pro #AP-18

I think this card shows that he was a pretty successful draft pick, and the picture moves into the new Cleveland Browns uniforms.


L-R: 2016 Donruss - Press Proof Silver #71 (#/100); 2017 Panini - Sacrifice #14 (#/299)

A couple more parallels to add to my collection, and I was happy to see the Sacrifice parallel labelled as such so distinctly.


L-R: 2018 Donruss - Elite Series #ES-27; 2018 Donruss - Glory #G-9

The card on the left has been shown on my blog before - it was my choice for my favorite card of 2018. Comparing it to the Glory insert, I prefer it for actually getting to see Joe Thomas without his helmet on, and what I think is a much nicer background.


L-R: 2012 Finest - Refractor #125; 2012 Topps Platinum - Orange Refractor #130

Trent Richardson was the third pick of the 2012 NFL Draft. I've said in my blog before that I was thrilled with the pick.

He had a good rookie season, but the Browns obviously saw something early in the 2013 season, and were lucky to be able to trade him to Indianapolis for a first-round draft pick in September 2013.


L-R: 2012 Score - Hot Rookies Glossy #3; 2012 Topps Platinum - Rookie Die-Cut #PDC-BW

A final Trent Richardson card with another Glossy parallel of an insert card.

Brandon Weeden was another first round pick from 2012, drafted twenty-second overall. He started 20 games for the Browns in 2012 and 2013. He was still in the NFL with the Houston Texans this year.

Top: 2012 Panini Prestige - NFL Passport #3
Bottom: 2016 Panini Prizm - Rookie Introductions Prizm #6

After trading down twice in the first round of the 2016 NFL Draft, Corey Coleman was selected with the fifteenth pick.

After suffering injuries with the Browns in the 2016 and 2017 seasons, which would have been part of the reasons that he didn't live up to expectations, the Browns traded Coleman to Buffalo for a seventh round draft pick during the 2018 training camp.

The Bills released him after training camp, and the Patriots signed him for about a week before also letting him go. He finished this season with the New York Giants, playing in their last eight games, catching five passes, and also returning 23 kickoffs and one punt.


L-R: 2016 Donruss Optic - Red & Yellow #161; 2016 Panini National Convention - VIP #40

I'm sure I'll be able to pick up cheap Coleman cards for years to come.


L-R: 2014 Topps Chrome - Green Refractors #152; 2014 Panini Hot Rookies #269

I've got two first round picks in this scan.

Justin Gilbert was the Browns first first-round pick in the 2014 NFL Draft, eighth overall. He was overshadowed by a quarterback that the Browns drafted fourteen picks later.

The quarterback's troubles helped hide the fact that Gilbert only started three games in his two seasons with the Browns. A little bit more is expected from an eighth overall pick.

The Browns were lucky to trade him to the Pittsburgh Steelers for a 2018 sixth round draft pick. He played the 2016 season with the Steelers, and has not played in the NFL since.

I decided to finish off the first-round picks in this post with another success story.

Joe Haden was the seventh pick of the 2010 NFL Draft, and went on to make the NFL All-Rookie team that season.

He played for the Browns from 2010-2016, and made two Pro Bowls (2013 and 2014), and the NFL Network's Top 100 list in 2014 and 2015. Unfortunately, he battled injuries during his last two seasons with the Browns.

Before the 2017 season started, Haden was surprisingly cut by the Browns and signed with the Pittsburgh Steelers.

As might be expected from a Browns fan, I hate the Steelers. However, I still like Joe Haden, and don't blame him for signing with Pittsburgh. I might have preferred him going elsewhere, but with the Browns just cutting him like they did, I don't blame him for finding the best option that he could.

Although that was the end of the cards of former first-round Browns draft picks in my COMC order, there were still a few more Browns cards in my order.


L-R: 2014 Bowman Sterling #77; 2014 Panini Hot Rookies #52

Pierre Desir was said to be a bit of a project when he was drafted in the fourth round of the 2014 NFL Draft. He played two seasons with the Browns, starting seven games, before being waived before the start of the 2016 season. After stints with the Chargers and Seahawks, Desir has played with the Indianapolis Colts for the last two seasons, and started twelve games for them this year.

In a story of a local boy making good, Brian Hoyer signed a two-year contract with the Browns before the 2013 season, and he started 16 games for the Browns over those two years, going 10-6.

Yes, a post-1999 Browns quarterback with a winning record.

The Browns decided not to bring him back after his contract ended, and he bounced around a little bit before returning to New England where he is still Tom Brady's back-up.


L-R: 2015 Topps High Tek - Pattern 2 Spiral/Dots #106; 2016 Donruss Optic - Pink #192

Finally, here are two other Browns draft picks that are still with the team and had important roles with the team last year.

Duke Johnson was drafted in the third round of the 2015 NFL Draft, while Rashard Higgins was drafted in the fifth round of the 2016 NFL Draft.

Hopefully they will have good careers with the Browns.

3 comments:

  1. I know that he's never going to be remembered for doing anything overly special, but I've always really liked Brandon Weeden as a person.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That 2018 Donruss Elite Series Joe Thomas is a great looking card. I also like that 2016 Donruss Press Proof card too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really always dug the designs on the 2012 Score Hot Rookies insert set , they have a wanted poster from wild west era look to them that's just awesome.

    ReplyDelete