Thursday 1 November 2018

Sportlots order - part 1

It had been a while since I had ordered anything on Sportlots.  About ten days ago I decided to change that, and I ended up finding about 85 cards from four different sellers. I drove down to my P.O. Box on Monday, and was happy to find all four envelopes there waiting for me.

While working on my wantlists recently, I realized that I was missing cards from a whole bunch of college sets. I knew that some of them would be inexpensive so I looked for those first. From there, when I saw a seller with a bunch of cards that I needed, I expanded my search in their inventory to find other Browns cards that I needed.

This post is going to contain all the college cards that I bought, with a few regular Browns cards thrown in at the end. The first part of this post will be a mix from three different sellers, while the last part will contain all the cards from one specific seller. Why am I singling one seller out? You'll find out later.

Top (l-r): 2009 Press Pass Legends - Bronze #15 (#/899); 2009 Press Pass Legends #33
Bottom (l-r): 2009 Press Pass SE #25; 2009 Press Pass SE - Double Feature #DF-18

Here are both of the receivers that the Browns drafted in the second round of the 2009 NFL Draft.

Mohamed Massaquoi played four years with the Browns, Brian Robiskie played three. Louis Murphy, sharing a card with Massaquoi, was drafted by the Raiders in the fourth round, and had the best career of the three of them.


Top (l-r): 2009 SAGE Hit - Silver #80; 2009 Topps - Career Best Jerseys #CBR-BR
Bottom: 2009 SAGE Hit - The Write Stuff #WS18


The silver on the SAGE Hit card is almost like glitter. I keep thinking it will rub off.
You can see on the card that it says that the swatch is from a Senior Bowl jersey. That's a little different. This card was the most expensive of my purchases at $2.50.


Top (l-r): 2011 Press Pass Legends #29; 2011 Upper Deck Sweet Spot #30
Bottom: 2011 Upper Deck Sweet Spot - Todd McShay Scouting Report #TM-19

The top two cards were familiar to my collection, but still needed.

I already had a copy of the Press Pass card but it was a printing error that was missing its foil (in the logo at the top, and the name on the card). The base Sweet Spot card was familiar to me because I already owned the autographed version of the card.

As for the Scouting Report card, I had never seen one of those before. I like it. It's different than what I'm used to.


L-R: 2010 Press Pass PE #23; 2012 SP Authentic - 1994 SP #94SP87

I like the 1994 style SP insert of Travis Benjamin. (Probably because I remember buying cards in 1994.) What I'd like more is having Travis Benjamin still with the Browns, playing at a level that he did in his final season in Cleveland. Oh, well.


Top: 2011 Upper Deck #34
Middle: 2011 Upper Deck - Historical Programs #HP-18
Bottom: 2011 Upper Deck Sweet Spot - Chris Mortensen Retro Report #MR-1

I'm continuing to add to my Charles White collection after ignoring him for so long.

I like the fact that they have retro reports for the older players. I know the scan is small, but if you want to read his report, you can see it here.


L-R: 2012 SP Authentic #138; 2012 SP Authentic - 1994 SP #94SP12

I like SP Authentic base card, even in black and white.


Top (l-r): 2012 Upper Deck University of Alabama #26; - All Americans #AA-ON
Middle (l-r): 2012 UD University of Alabama - All-Time Alumni #ATA-ON; - All-Time Alumni Trios #ATAT-NJP
Bottom: 2012 UD University of Alabama - All-Time Alumni Duos #ATAD-NJ

I'm always happy to add new Ozzie Newsome cards to my collection. I love the photo on the base card.


L-R: 2012 Upper Deck University of Alabama #63; - National Champions #NC-AL

Antonio Langham played for the Browns before the move to Baltimore, and during their expansion season back in the league in 1999.


Top (l-r): 2012 Upper Deck University of Alabama #79; - National Champions #NC-TR
Bottom (l-r): 2012 UD University of Alabama - National Champions Duos #NCD-RM; - National Champion Trios #NCT-RMK

Trent Richardson looked so good in college. I was so happy when the Browns drafted him.

He had a good rookie season, but marred a bit by injury, but then seemed to lose something the following year. He just didn't seem to hit the holes quickly and decisively.


The next batch of cards all came from Sportlots seller "joan1173".


Top (l-r): 2011 Upper Deck University of Oklahoma #20; - All-Time Alumni #ATA-GP
Bottom: 2011 Upper Deck University of Oklahoma - All-Time Alumni Duos #ATAD-SP

Going through these college sets can be fun to see what players you come across. While going through the Oklahoma checklist again in making this post, I recognized a name I missed when I made my wantlist - Antonio Perkins, a cornerback that the Browns drafted in 2005. I'll have to add him to my wantlist when I finish this post.

Now, Greg Pruitt's name just jumped out at me when I looked at the checklist. A second round draft pick in 1973, he made four Pro Bowls in his first five years with the Browns. He is fourth in career rushing yards with the Browns, behind Jim Brown, Leroy Kelly, and Mike Pruitt (no relation).

After nine years with the Browns, he moved on to the Raiders for three years, making one Pro Bowl and winning a Super Bowl with them.


Top (l-r): 2008 Press Pass Legends Bowl Edition #75 (#/299); - 5 Yard Line Gold #75 (#/50)
Bottom (l-r): 2008 Press Pass Legends Bowl Edition - 10 Yard Line Holofoil #75 (#/75); - 15 Yard Line Blue #75 (#/99)

I really like these Press Pass Bowl Edition cards. They're shiny and thicker than usual cards.

Although I owned a couple of previous Paul Warfield college cards, they didn't have him in a helmet, and I think the helmet really makes these cards.


Top (l-r): 2008 Press Pass Legends Bowl Edition #73 (#/299); - 20 Yard Line Red #73 (#/150)
Bottom Left: 2008 Press Pass Legends Bowl Edition - Bringing Down the Goal Posts #BDGP-8 (#/250)
Bottom Right: 2008 Press Pass Legends Bowl Edition - Most Valuable Player #MVP-14 (#/250)

More Charles White cards, and more cool Press Pass Bowl Edition cards. I'm so happy that I came across these cards.


Top: 2011 Playoff Contenders - Playoff Ticket #21 (#/99)
Bottom: 2011 Playoff Contenders - Playoff Ticket #162 (#/99)

While looking through the inventory, I came across some Browns cards that I needed. Here are a couple of Panini Contenders parallels.

Ben Watson is still playing in the NFL, and caught Drew Brees' 500th touchdown pass recently, a couple of weeks after another former Brown, Josh Gordon, caught Tom Brady's 500th touchdown pass.


L-R: 2008 Topps Triple Threads #11 (#/778); 2010 Topps Finest #77

I had already owned parallels of these two cards before finding their base cards. That seems to happen more than I like. Anyway, I'm happy to add them beside their parallels in my collection.


Top: 2009 Donruss Classics - Significant Signatures Gold #226 (#/250)
Bottom (l-r): 2011 Playoff Contenders - ROY Contender #7; 2016 Panini Select - Tri-Color Prizm #186

These cards are why I'm specifically mentioning the seller, "joan1173". These were throw-ins to the package. I only spent $11 on the fifteen cards I bought. To have a nice autograph, an insert and a parallel thrown in for free on such a small order was a huge surprise.  Enough to make me recommend the seller to anyone that reads this.

Oh, and to any other football collectors, I recommend the Press Pass Legends Bowl Edition cards.



1 comment:

  1. My uncle is a huge USC fan. He would always talk about OJ Simpson, Marcus Allen... and of course Charles White.

    ReplyDelete