Saturday 11 November 2023

Found at the local card store

I popped into my local card store the other day to pick up some card sheets to store those vintage tobacco sized card sets that I showed in my last two posts. While I was there, I saw they had some football monster boxes sorted by team.

I asked for the box that had the Browns cards in it, and was laughingly told that it was a pretty small section since I usually do a pretty good job of buying their Browns cards.

I sorted through the Browns cards there, and found the following cards that I needed.



I'm always happy to find some of the old refractors from Topps Chrome sets, and also to find a new Kevin Johnson card for my collection. This is a Refractor from 2000 Topps.




And I was also able to add two more Tim Couch cards to my collection.

The card on the left is a Player's Private Issue parallel, numbered out of 250, from 2000 Topps Gallery.

The card on the right is a Refractor, numbered out of 999, from 2001 Topps Chrome. It has a bit of a curl in the card which allowed it to pick up a little bit of light on the right of the card.




I had never seen one of these Platinum Medallion Edition parallels before from 2001 Fleer Ultra. It is numbered out of 50.

David Patten played one season with the Browns, after three seasons with the Giants. He then signed with the Patriots as a free agent before the 2001 season.

Patten died in a motorcycle accident in September 2021, at the age of 47.




Another shiny card with this Xtra Points Black parallel of Braylon Edwards, numbered out of 25, from 2005 Playoff Prestige.




A clear acetate insert card of Joe Thomas. I'm biased, but I definitely think he belongs in this Living Legends insert set from the 2020 Panini Illusions football set.




A nice simple brown swatch in a memorabilia card of Nick Chubb. This League Leaders insert card is from 2020 Panini Prestige.



And a couple of green parallels of Baker Mayfield insert cards to finish things off.

The top card is a Dual Threats Green insert card from 2021 Donruss Elite.

The bottom card is a Got Game? Mosaic Green insert card from 2021 Panini Mosaic.

As I left, one of the owners told me that he had some other Browns cards put aside for me, but they weren't up front in the store. He said he will text me at a later time to come look through them.

All in all, for that visit, I wasn't expecting to buy any Browns cards, and I came home with these nine, so it was a very successful trip.


2 comments:

  1. I was collecting football heavily back in the days of Couch and Johnson, so seeing those refractors is really cool. It's really awesome that you have a good relationship with your LCS where they set aside cards for you.

    P.S. Thought of you when the Browns beat the Niners a few weeks ago. Congratulations on that huge win... and best of luck tomorrow against the Ravens.

    ReplyDelete
  2. For not having very much, they sure seemed to have a lot!

    ReplyDelete