Wednesday 21 February 2018

Doug Pederson, 2018 Topps and Christmas pack 27

(I originally typed this up on February 6th but then lent my laptop to my sister for ten days or so and didn't actually post this.)

Congratulations to Super Bowl winning coach Doug Pederson!

2001 Pacific #109
I have two Browns cards of Doug Pederson in my collection from his stint as a backup to Tim Couch in 2000. After Tim Couch was injured in a Week 7 game, Pederson started 8 games for the Browns over the rest of the season. He became the third Browns starter of the expansion Browns.

I love this Pacific card in the snow.

2001 NFL Showdown 1st Edition #111
I actually bought the NFL Showdown game when it first came out. I never played it. I do appreciate some of the players that they included on each team.

Wasn't it fun watching all those Eagles fans with their dog masks. If only some other team had thought of that.

1992 Pro Set #682
----------

I usually buy a baseball pack or two to look at, and see what's new. (Yeah, I know, I can see that on all those other blogs.) I stopped into a Walmart when I picked up my mail at my PO Box in Ogdensburg yesterday, and picked up a value box of 2018 Topps.

Here are the cards from the box that I enjoyed, and the inserts.


The Abreu card was my first Topps card of the year.

I like the Merrifield card, but wish that Topps just showed a little more of the picture - like the whole glove and ball, and the feet.

I also like hat tips and catchers, those photos jumped out at me. I like the bubble that Rupp is blowing.


I think that everyone likes the Hamilton card.

Judge and Stanton. Think we will hear their names paired together much this year? With the League Leader cards, I wish they had put what they led the league in somewhere on the front of the card. This is Stanton's RBI leader card.


All the horizontal cards in my pack were grouped together. I wanted the d'Arnaud card the minute that I saw it posted for the first time, and not just because I am a Mets and a catcher fan. It is just such a cool shot!

Some nice diving cards in the set.

Cool base-running card of Conforto. I hope he comes back strong and stays healthy this year.

I really like the photo of Rich Hill, but wish that the logo and name didn't block his glove and leg.

I am happy that the Mets re-signed Jay Bruce. I wonder how much first base he'll wind up playing this year.

On to the inserts:
The top foil card is the only non-insert parallel that I got.

A third Met in the box. I'll take it, although I don't think the insert itself is all that attractive.

The Memorial Day insert would be my favorite of these. Could it be because I can actually see game background on the card?

The box said that I would get two Kris Bryant insert cards.

I got three, one of which I imagine is a blue parallel. Not a fan of parallels of inserts. At least I don't have to collect these.

All in all, I prefer this year's set over the last couple, but like a lot of other bloggers, I think that I would prefer that the flagship Topps set have borders.

----------

I'm still working on the Christmas baseball packs that I received. Today we have...

...1992 Score Series 2!

 I didn't buy much of this set when it came out, but I like the looks of it now.

Those bottom two prospects are pretty nice. I had forgotten that Lofton started with the Astros.

I always loved looking at the minor league stats on the back of the cards. I learned where various farm teams were

I remember Gil Heredia after his trade to Montreal, and then seeing him pitch in AAA for the Ottawa Lynx.


I might not have bought a lot of 92 Score when it came out, but I remember that I did own that Frank Thomas Dream Team card.

Nice to finish with a final catcher's card in this group.

I think the Lofton is probably my favorite card in the pack.

No comments:

Post a Comment