Sunday 4 February 2018

COMC Black Friday: Couch; and Christmas pack 25

My COMC Black Friday order included some Tim Couch cards. By numbers, I'm closing in on 500 different Tim Couch cards. This may sound impressive, but according to the Trading Card Database he has over 1800 cards to collect. I'm sure that I will always be adding to my Couch collection.

Top Left: 1999 Bowman's Best - Rookie Locker Room Autographs #RA1
Top Right: 1999 Collection Edge Advantage - Rookie Autographs #159
Bottom Left: 1999 Collector's Edge Triumph - Commissioner's Choice #CC1 
Bottom Right: 1999 SkyBox Molten Metal - Gridiron Gods #5GG
 A couple more autographs for my collection.

As a former number one pick, Couch appears in a lot of insert sets. I already had a parallel of the Skybox Gridiron Gods card so this one looked familiar. I'm glad that I double-checked against my collection and didn't just pass it by.

Top Left: 2000 Topps Chrome - Preseason Picks #P11
Top Right: 2002 Donruss Gridiron Kings - DK Originals #CK-14 (#/1000)
Bottom: 2002 Fleer Box Score - First Edition #187 (#/100)
The Preseason Picks card is similar to a team card and has photos on the back of Kevin Johnson, Jamir Miller and Darrin Chiaverini.

I'm happy to add the Gridiron Kings card to my collection. I wonder if any of the athletes try to get the original art of themselves.

Top: 2002 Fleer Showcase - Air to the Throne #2 AT
Bottom: 2002 Score - The Franchise #FR-8

With all the white space in the middle of the Fleer Showcase card I could understand if people don't like this card, but I think it is better in hand than in the scan.

I wish that Tim Couch had turned out to be the elusive franchise quarterback, and that it was him that the Browns were struggling to replace after a long career, but his Browns career ended after the 2003 season. With a five year stretch of starting games for the Browns, one could argue that we are still struggling to replace him. Maybe this year.

----------

Next up from the Christmas baseball packs that I received is...


...1992 Leaf Series 2.

Let's see what I got!


I'm not going to complain about finding a Met card in my pack. I liked Saberhagen with the Royals and was happy when the Mets traded for him.

It is interesting that all the fielder cards have photos of plays at a base.

The black border of the checklist caught my eye right away. I knew it would be something different, but when I saw that it was a checklist card, I just figured the checklists were black. I flipped it over.


Oh, okay, it is one of the Leaf Black Gold parallel cards. And Ryne Sandberg appeared on the back. Cool!


I don't remember Gary Varsho but I like the photo of him sliding.

Another action shot on the Jody Reed card.

Another crooked scan. I should probably have paid more attention to my scanning than the curling that I'm watching as I am doing this. (Page Playoff game for the Scotties Tournament of Hearts in case you wondered.) I may wind up posting it later, but that's what is on right now.

Rhodes sure wound up having a long career, but I guess that shouldn't surprise me too much after he became a left-handed relief pitcher.

Bill Landrum also gets added to the list of players that I don't remember, but it is a nice photo in an Expos uniform. Too bad the shade under the cap obscures his face a little.

Once again, some good memories with this pack, and I really enjoyed some of the photos in this pack.

2 comments:

  1. I love seeing Tim Couch cards. Please keep sharing. I still have my brown and orange #2 jerseys hanging in the spare bedroom closet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cool Couch autographs! There's one Tim Couch autograph that I've been targeting for months... and I can't believe how much it keeps selling for. I need it for my set, but I refuse to pay Top $$$ for his autographs.

    ReplyDelete