Saturday 31 March 2018

2018 Topps Heritage - Part 1

A while back I bought myself a box of 2018 Topps Heritage. Although people have probably already seen most of what they want, I figure I'll show the whole box pack by pack, and split it over two posts.

Looking at the write-up on Cardboard Connection, it looks like I should find:

2018 Topps Heritage Baseball Hobby Box Break

  • 1 Autograph or Relic Card
  • 2 New Age Performers Inserts
  • 2 Deckle Edge Inserts
  • 1 each of Baseball Flashbacks, News Flashbacks, Then and Now Inserts
  • 1 Box Topper
On top of that, the odds say that there should be 8 short prints in the box (1:3 packs).


Pack 1:


Two Mets in my first pack, although only one is on a Mets card. The blurred background on the Jay Bruce card seems odd compared to the rest of the pack - a game photo instead of a posed one?


Pack 2:


Three Dodger cards in my first two packs.

The first Deckle card in the box is Mookie Betts.

The players look like they were superimposed onto the backgrounds. I would love the backgrounds if they weren't so empty. There are no signs of anybody else on any of the cards. I don't like that.


Pack 3:


Well, the Zach Davies card shares the same number with the Ohtani short print. Not the card #17 I was hoping to see, but it is still early. Davies also has the same blurred background as Bruce.


Pack 4:


I've found my first Baseball Flashback insert, from an insert set with a really nice checklist.

I always liked league leader cards as a kid so am happy to seem them in this set.


Pack 5:


Martin Perez is my first short print out of the box.

I'm sure that Night Owl would be happy to see two more Dodger cards in this pack, after being shut out in the last two.

I'm surprised that it took this long to get my first Yankee solo card.


Pack 6:


I don't see anyone blurred behind Howie Kendrick. Why did they have to blur the background?


Pack 7:


I like Tulowitzki. Too bad he can't stay healthy.

There is my first New Age Performer insert.


Pack 8:


The Scooter Gennett card is the second short print from the box.

I don't know if I'm different than a lot of collectors, but I've always liked multi-player cards. Having them for rookie and league leader cards is fairly traditional, but in football cards I always loved them in Topps Total when they paired the kicker/punter, and grouped the linemen on cards. If it gets a player a card that normally wouldn't have one, I'm okay with that.


Pack 9:


When I looked at the checklist of News Flashbacks, this Beatles card wasn't on the top of the list of ones that I wanted to pull, but it is definitely ahead of many of the others on the list. I think I'll have to find a copy of the Sesame Street insert.

I'm glad to see the Mets rookie card. Actually, this is quite a pack for rookie stars cards.

My second World Series card in the box - both of them Dodger wins...


Pack 10:


Back to back Machado cards, and Alex Reyes is my third short print of the box so far.


Pack 11:


I like the player head on the checklist.

And Bryant is my second Deckle card.


Pack 12:


Christian Arroyo gives me my four short prints that I should find in the first half of the box.

I love the feel of the Heritage cards, and I enjoy the 1969 look of these cards, but hope I find more Mets in the second half of the box.

According to the box information at the beginning of this post, and the short print odds, the second half of the box should have my autograph or relic, as well as the second New Age Performer, my Then and Now insert, and four more short prints. We'll see what I found in my next post.


1 comment:

  1. Looks like you got some good stuff so far. Looking forward to the rest of the box.

    ReplyDelete