Thursday 30 June 2016

Spring COMC Order - Part 3: 1999 and 2000

Okay, I should have just named this the Tim Couch section of my COMC order.

Looking at the stats of my collection on the Trading Card Database, with these cards they show me as owning 373 different Tim Couch cards - the most of anyone in my collection. (For anyone interested, number two is Kevin Johnson with 224 different cards.)

Left: 1999 Fleer Focus - Glimmer Men #1R
Right: 1999 Playoff Momentum SSD - Star Gazing #SG41
Both of these insert cards are shiny foil and look better in person, although as you can see, the Fleer card shows up better in a scan than the Playoff card.

Left: 2000 Fleer Tradition - Tradition of Excellence #3TE
Right: 2000 Leaf Certified - Certified Gold Team #CGT32
The Leaf card is quite shiny, with the burst effect really catching the light.

Top: 2000 Playoff Prestige - Human Highlight Film #HH-60
Bottom: 1999 Skybox Molten Metal #147
I think that other than the set name, the Prestige card really scans nicely.

I have to say that I really like the 1999 Skybox Molten Metal set. There is just something about the durability of the cards. This card completed my team set from the base set. I have a couple of Tim Couch inserts from the set as well, but still need some and there are parallels for a lot of them as well.

Left: 1999 Stadium Club - Emperors of the Zone #E9
Right: 2000 Topps Gallery #141
I'm wondering why Topps came up with the name "Emperors of the Zone" for an insert set. I mean, you hear military terms used for the leaders of sports teams all the time, but Emperor?

And, believe it or not, I actually picked up two non-Tim Couch cards from 2000.

Left: 2000 Collector's Edge Odyssey - Wasssuppp #W7
2000 Topps Chrome #228
Yeah, a "Wasssuppp" insert. Who knew? Now, next question, who's surprised? There were actually two Browns in the 20 card set. I still need to get the Travis Prentice card.

I already owned the Topps Collection parallel card of Barcelona Dragon Ronnie Powell, but I needed this Topps Chrome version, and still need the base Topps card. (I'm sure that is only because I really haven't looked for it.) On the back of the card it says that he was signed by the Browns as a free agent, and then allocated to the Dragons. He did play in 14 games for the Browns in 1999, catching one pass for 45 yards, rushing the ball once for -14 yards, and returning 44 punts for 986 yards.



No comments:

Post a Comment